Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to part time or not to part time.....that is the question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jun 5, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

after i get my other dillema solved and t-case i.d.'d, if it is a np203 is it wise to part time it. my blazer already has lock outs on it so all i have to buy is the t-case kit. summit has a mile marker version for 39.99 smakers. superwinch version for 47.99 smakers. any comments on which is better or if i should do this ? any cons ? thanks ahead of time.

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know lots of people are going to say convert it, but I really miss my full time 78 chev. If I could do it cheaply I would consider swapping a 203 into my 90 Jimmy.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

mine was converted when i got it, and i love it. id say go for it.

NITRO

4. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

i'd convert it you'll get better gas milage and if you break a front axle shaft you can just kick it to 2wd and get it out but it is up to you if its your daily driver i would HIGHLY recommend it but its your choise good luck with that

-scott

5. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Full time 4wd is nice if you drive on snowy paved roads and highways more than a couple times a year. With my land cruiser (part time 4wd) I'd have to shift in and out of 4wd on partiallly covered roads. There were lots of times where I never shifted into 4 when it would have been nice just because 200m down the road it was bare again. Not sure if Illinois gets enough snow to consider this.

My solution to this was to get an AWD subaru (cmon, don't laugh) for family road trips in the winter and the np205'd gm truck for a toting a camper and wheeling. Full time 4wd drive is also easier for the spousal unit to use - you don't end up with bound up transfer cases.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Heck with a NP205 and the front hubs locked in you can shift in and out of 4wd on the fly.

7. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

you could also loosen up the few bolts in a matter of a minute that hold the front driveshaft on and get out like that even if you have full time 4x4. Chevy made em for a reason. i know people are going to say that they stopped making them for a reason too, but you also have to consider if full time 4x4 were so bad then why awd vehicles now. i know it is not exactly the same thing. but i believe the reason they stopped making full time 4x4 is because of the oil crisis in the late 70's that shut down so many gas stations. in order to sell cars they had to be more fuel efficient under their normal operating conditions. part time uses less fuel, but i wouldn't say that it is necessarily better. it all depends on what you are looking for. i have not made my 203 part time, but then again i am going to make it a doubler, so it would be a waste of money right now to put in the part time kit. it drives great with the full time. how many of your buddies can go straight full the road to the muck w/o having to shift or lock anything. by the time they get ready to cross you will be on the other side setting up your camp.

8. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

yea but if you live anywhere where it rains at all and you have lockers front and back full time is going to give you more of a problem on the road when its raining im not totaly against full time but i dont see the need for it unless your daily driving takes you to places where you constantly go in and out of bad terrain and being that im dropping a 454bbc in my blazer i want to squeez every last drop of gas i can get outta a buck you know what im saying? there are definatly 2 collages of thought on this subject and neither can prove the other wrong becaus neither is, but in my opnion if its not a deticated off road truck and you drive it on road as much, if not more, than off then full time i belive is just a waste of gas but thats just my 2c i just thought i would share

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I like having part time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Only reason I convertet my 75 is it has a locker in the front. If it wasn't for the front locker I would swap it back. If you keep the tire rotated they don't get that much worse mpg than a non full time. They are pretty rough on tires. I'll tell you what a full time truck can hang a high speed corner better. Just plant your right foot and it will hold a corner unbeliveably well. I use to scare punks in that truck by pinning them to the out side of a sweeper. They get afraid when a 4 inch lifted truck on chunked up 32's and howling all four tires next to them at 70mph /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The wifes STOCK 79 with the limited slip and AT's wouldn't pull a corner that well. The 79 was converted when we bought the truck. I could swap it back but that truck will sit in the driveway if it snows so no need.