Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To race or not to race

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 10, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

As if I didn't have enough stuff to do this weekend, I get a call last night and find out theres a mud race tomorrow (Saturday).

I have to put a clutch in, pull two motors, get a truck running, and haul out a load of yard waste this weekend. But I just have to enter. It's hard to explain. We just have to make an appearance at the race.

Think i should blow the 20 bucks and enter? Or just watch at the sidelines... mumbling to myself "I should have entered".

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

depends how long it will take you to do all that stuff. If you have enough time, go /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hell ya you race /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Race! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There is a mud race down here in Benton City tomorrow as well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. mountainexplorer

Well, we got the one truck up and running tonight, so it's one more thing thats done and gone, cleared a spot in my driveway to unload my latest aquisition off the trailer, then loaded the Orange Blazer on the trailer.

It's still not running right. I put a 750 carb on it today after work, and it still acts like the 'ole grungy one I took off. Built 454... and gutless. We'll see how it does in the morning. I have to get up in like 4.85 hrs and leave.

We'll have me towing my Orange Blazer; a big blue Suburban, his son's black '86 Jimmy, and an '80 Chevy truck and some friends going out together in the A.M.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

RACE!......you KNOW it makes sense!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If I were you,the only place I'd want to go after pulling even one engine is to bed!--I dont know how you do all that stuff,and not pass out from exhaustion! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. mountainexplorer

Woke up this morning at 5:30 am. Got ready, met up with others, gassed up and headed out.

Got to the race. The thing was totally gutless. It's a .060 over 454 with a healthy cam in it, but just won't rev past like 3 grand with a load on it.

The last 3 runs I got out of four, I totally floored it; and I mean totally to the floor and it would lug, then slowly churn it's way through. Friends said it looked like I was in slow motion, which is how it felt.

Oh well, it was fun anyway. I even had my own fan club show up. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Friends and the kids were cheering me on when I lined up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Too bad I didn't put on a better show for them.

Then, on the way out, some friend's Suburban broke down, so I had to have someone drive the Orange Blazer back, and I had to put the Suburban on my trailer and tow it back.

If I'd have had my Blue Blazer there, even with no locker and regular BFG Mud Terrains and my SB400, I would have gone through like twice as fast.

Just went to look at another truck for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now it's time to load up tools, hook up another trailer, and drive 2 hrs up north so I can finish a clutch job and pull two motors tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif