Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To rebuild or not to rebuild: NP203?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jul 27, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

How much work is it to rebuild this t-case? It shifts and ran fine when I stripped the truck a year ago but I now have the tranny out and was thinking about rebuilding the case as well. Anyone? Worth it or no? Can I take it apart without having to replace any seals? Thanks in advance.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I would think that you'd want to replace the seals, and they are easy to remove/install. Rebuilding a T-case is actually fairly easy and is probably worth it as long as you have it out. The 203 is a strong case and regardless of what some people say, there is no reason to replace it if you don't have to and aren't building a monster truck. The main consideration is the cost and availability of the rebuild kit.

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    When I rebuilt a tranny on a 74 I owned, I had the same dilemma. T case worked well but had it checked. Shop let me bring it in and tear it apart at thier place. They looked it over and no problems. They replaced seals and a new chain. Well worth the investment. Now is the time to have a looksee and maybe catch a future problem at a lower cost.