Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To rebuild or not to rebuild?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jan 28, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I can get a complete long block for $635 with all cast stuff. Well, my question is, after they torque down the main and rod caps, can you undo them without messing up the bearings? I found a set of Hyperteutic flat top pistons for $101 and I was thinking that I could get the pistons, take out the rods and get the new pistons put on, and then re-assemble it. Can I do this???

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My two cents worth would be why bother ? First off do you really need Hyper. Pistons? If this motor is just gonna be a mild buildup then I would say just keep the stock stuff, otherwise if you really want the better pistions then get them and just get a 350 block done up as it will be much less of a hassle IMO.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Yes you can do that but if you'r not using the motor for racing or even street drag racing then it would be a waste. Your $635 long block will most likely withstand anything you could give it short of racing.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think adding flat top pistons for a little more compression would be a good idea, but cheapy cast ones will work just fine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

if you dont mind me asking, where did you find a $635 long block? i have checked all over and i have only found long block for $700 and up. thanx.

i liked this bumper sticker i saw, "real Americans DRIVE American"

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

City Motor Supply in Dallas and San Antonio. $635 is a complete motor from the basics to the rockers and a gasket set. Even comes with some Blue Silicon and engine paint. Website is www.citymotorsupply.com I forgot to mention, the pistons that are stock are dished cast pistons, the ones I want to put it are Flat Top 4-valve relief Hypereutectic with anti-friction coating from Federal Mogul.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Most places like that have different options for their motors. You also might want to see if you could just have them install the flat top pistons to start with insted of breaking the engine apart after they just put it together.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>