Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to replace or not replace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by onlychevy6, Jun 10, 2003.

1. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

ok hear it is. i have a 78 blazer that came with a 350. how ever when i bought this k5 i found out the motor has been changed to a 80-85 350. have no idea what the horsepower rating is or torque. i have blown the rear main seal and it ping on the passenger side. and it is not an exhaust leak. do you think i should replace the motor or Just do the rear main seal and find the ping? Now i live in the great state of Calif. and i still have to smog this thing. which really stinks. Because i can't find headers that are emission legal. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif [image]C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\My Documents\My Pictures[/image]

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

my .02 is fix it, and edelbrock has 50 state headers...

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

um, I don't think you can link pics from your own pc unless you are running web server software.

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

the newer motor you have in your truck is going to be a little lower on power than the 77. however, it is going to be a little better with emissions with cylinder head design and EGR. like stated i would go with the edelbrock headers and a good high flow 3 way cat. as for the pinging, i would figure out why it is pinging only on one side. if all the plugs look good, you probably have a buildup of carbon on that one side for some reason. I would do a compression AND leakdown test and see what you come up with. if everything checks good i would just fix the seal and go. by the way your short block is pretty much the same from 77 to the year you have depending on what vehicle it came out of. if you want more power out of it put an emissions legal cam and some decent heads on it.

5. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

thank you all for your input. it is very much appreciated. (hope i spelt that correctly).