Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To replace or not to replace? I'm rambling!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

To replace or not to replace? I\'m rambling!

I seriously concidered selling old Dollar. I want a mog bad but reality is the one I would be happy with is even less practical to Dolla and near worthless on the trails around here. It;s the Big mogs that tickle my fancy. The ones that would make a good trail vehicle are not good road vehicles. SO I would have to trailer to most where I would only trailer to a few with Dollar.

I have a few complaints with Dollar that got me thinking about selling. I need to adress these.

1: First is my rear axle has issues. I have destroyed bearing surfaces on 4 axle shafts on the 12 bolt. I think it's a issue with the Detroit and 35's putting stress on the bearings. Aloy shafts may fix this issue.

2: I'm rolling beads so I need to get bead lock rims.

3: Stalling nose up.

If I can cure these issues I will be happy again.

Well if I concider problems 1 and 2 together a 14 bolt is starting to sound like a good idea. I did know where a van 14 was with gears matching my front. If thats still available I'm starting to like it. Sell my detroit amd 4.10 12 bolt rear and my 15 inch rimed 35's and rock crawlers. Step up to some hummer rims possibly recenterd or see if Stazworks has released a double bead lock 15. Or any of the other varaition. My stall problem plays into this.

My stall issue has a couple solutions. I have a mostly complet TBI system sitting on the work bench.

Recently I had another option. rear it's head in the form of a totaled 6.2 powered burb. All the parts I need to convert. Problem is getting rid of the tub. It's also going to cost me more in fuel to go get then I am getting this for.

I am starting to warm towards the 6.2 with these gas prices. 22mpg trail rig sounds sexy!

A Deisel 3/4 ton 75 Roadster.....Hmmmmm could be fun!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: To replace or not to replace? I\'m rambling!

[ QUOTE ]
    1: First is my rear axle has issues. I have destroyed bearing surfaces on 4 axle shafts on the 12 bolt. I think it's a issue with the Detroit and 35's putting stress on the bearings. Aloy shafts may fix this issue.

2: I'm rolling beads so I need to get bead lock rims.

3: Stalling nose up

[/ QUOTE ]

1: Check for a bent axle housing!

2: Get new rims

3: Put in that 6.2 diesel and add a turbo/maybe even propane.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Follow your heart Grim....You have to have your heart in it no matter which you choose /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A shaved 14 would probably be a decent set-up for you Eric...not a lot of capital outlay to solve the rear end problem either.

I was absolutely tickled with the trail performance of the 6.2. Aside from one tame trail here it's maiden voyage for me was Moab. Running the SM465 I have great gearing, but with the carbed 350 I had it left me sorely wishing for a third leg for when it started to flood out at the more extreme angles. The stalling and flooding really took the fun out of wheeling, and if it isn't fun anymore you know what eventually happens...

The 6.2 not only doesn't stall at odd angles it also has so much grunt even at idle. I think it is the ideal crawler motor, especially with a manual tranny.

I drove my pig from Vancouver to Moab and back and never got worse than 16 mpg and that is on 39.5" TSL's and no overdrive. I don't feel I need a turbo (yet) but I live a few feet above sea level and have fairly deep gears for a diesel. It moves the truck as well as the 350 did before.

I still drive mine daily, and the only drivetrain change I'll be making soon is a NV4500 and some 35-37" AT's so it's a bit more street friendly. The OD will gain me 3-6 mpg too. This puts wheeling trips that ar long distance back into the realm of possibility for me. I can always tow a small enclosed trailer for the TSL's and tools...

I'd grab that 'burb and do the swap. If that's what you eventually decide I should be able to help you out if you have any questions.

Rene

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am kinda almost in the same boat.
    My K5 has some issues...
    1. not sure if I like the welded diff on the road... Detroits are 800.00 CDN here.
    2. motor was rebuilt 5 hard years ago... lotsa mud and overtemps through it in the last 5 yrs... may need some work soon
    3. too fat and heavy... need bigger tires.
    4. I love the look, attitude, and the overall bada$$ aura surrounding the K5... but dangit... I cant follow these dang TJs
    5. I like the K5, but its not my 'dream 4wd vehicle'

What to do?
    1. get rid of it... probable... my neighbor has a 83 Toyota Deisel landcruiser FJ, he bought it new in 82, he is retiring and moving off base, he will be selling it this summer... probably.
    2. the landcruiser is the vehicle I have dreamed about for a very long time...
    I really think I am going to be very conservative with my repairs/ mods on the K5, until he decides he is selling... then the sky is the limit!
    I guess what Im saying is in my minds eye, I say go find what you want to build. Thats kinda the way I am swaying with mine anyways. If you always wanted a Mog, maybe nows the time to go get one?

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Mike