Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To replace or not

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Yohinan, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

I recently had a shop quote me roughly 1200.00 (parts & labor) to replace the upper and lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, adding knock-outs, and finally an alingment. I am in complete agreement with all of this needing to be replaced as the truck has about 170,000 miles on it. What I was wondering was if there was some reason that they would not recommend the inner/outer tie rods, and center link not be replaced? Anyone know or should I tell them to replace them also while their at it? Thanks for all the help. John

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if the b.j.s are origanal then thay are rivited in. and will be more time to replace them. but if thay have been replaced thay are bolted in. and thay being a good shop should give you a price break on labor. and if the other parts arnt bad then why replace them. all in all that price is about correct if thay are using all top doller lifetime parts . and doing all the work quoted. the nock outs are done by pulling the upper control arms out and poping the factory steel plugs out and this is just a pain if you dont have the tool to do it your self. keep in mind these prices are about the average big city shop prices. and with out knowing the labor rate per hr i cant tell you if thats fare for sure.