Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To SB400 or not to SB400 that is the question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Beast, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Beast

Beast Registered Member

I'd like to hear from those with experience, the pro's and con's of SB 400. I have a 73 with a 350/350 3.73/33" which I tow with and am just not happy with the low end umph! I picked up a rebuildable (we'll see) 400 but before I dive in with $$$ (planning on mostly stock with Edelbrock Performer cam and intake), I thought I would get oppinions.

2. The only draw back that I see with a 400sb is cooling.But if you spend enough money on cooling then they are are realy good motor.I've had several 400's through the years, when set up for bottom/midrange power its hard to beat for power vs money.Thats just my $.02.Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, you gotta believe I will be on the side of the 400.......my 406 I have had for 6 years now and love the power improvement over previous 350's. This of course is jaded now with a fresh rebuild and trickery with the TPI (it flat out is scary now) but even when I had a Q-jet on it with a Performer intake and exhaust manifolds (as opposed to headers) it was significantly more fun to drive than my other 3 350 powered K5's. Gotta figure you get an extra 50 (or more) cubic inches.

Cooling - I have a 4 core radiator and have never had any issues whatsoever........gotta maintain the cooling system on any vehicle, but I recommend a 4 core regardless of what you do. I have AC and even in summer when I lived in PA (90+ temp and humid) with the AC running it never got hot.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

I agree with the good Mr. BlazzinOR, who´s engine is last thing I think of before I go to sleep[​IMG]. One thing about them I don´t like is the shorter pistonrod size, which makes them incompatible with every other smallblock Chevy ever produced (AFAIK). If you got the time searching for a good one, see if you can find a healthy shortblock with 5.7" rods already installed. Not that the stock 5.565" rods are junk, but longer is better[​IMG]. Oh my God, did I write that last sentence !?!

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]