Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To sell or not to sell...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speedyvision917, Sep 14, 2004.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Ok, as some of you no, the VIN number on my truck is missing. i have no idea how either. so unless the DMV can issue me another wich i dont think is possible or allow me to replace the body with one that has a VIN and title...im screwed.

even if im allowed to swap bodys, its going to be considered a composite vehicle, wich means id have to get it towed to the testing center, wich will then give it an even more thourough test then usual, i really dont feel like going through all this, it just seems like too much work /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Although if i tried to sell it id have to tell the person buying it theres no vin and they would most likely not buy it unless i was able to convince them that the dmv will have a solution for them (its rude but most likely only way ill be able to sell it) and then if they cant get a vin they might try to get me in trouble for selling them the vehicle with no VIN.....

So what im thinking is either sell it to someone who either needs it for parts or doesnt care about the missing vin or try and sell it to someone convincing them theyll be able to get a VIN number for it, or i could part it out but seeing that i live in CT where wheelin isnt that big and its hard to ship stuff i probly wouldnt be able to make my money back....id be selling it for the price i got it for even though i have put in a few new things in it costing me about 300 or so in total /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...HELP, i need your opinions, ideas, suggestions, whatever. i screwed up big time i think /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You cannot legally sell a vehicle with no VIN number, so that decision should be easy.

3. speedyvision917

well the guy who sold it to me sold it with no vin unless the vin fell off during all the time its been sitting /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

go to a junk yard and take the vin off another truck, the junk yards usually have titles for all the trucks.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Although it's not strictly legal, I'd correct the problem this way:

Find someone here who is parting an 80's K5. Have them carve the upper dash area out for you as big around the vin plate as possible. Get the title too.

Graft the new piece onto your truck, re-install the dash and go register your new K5 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

This would be hypothetical of course...

Rene

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Call your local sherrif's dept. They'll come out copy whatever numbers they can find too run a check that it's not stolden, then tell you where too go too get a new VIN for it. You'll need your bill of sale.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You might be able to find out whoever had the truck registered last,the registry of motor vehicles requires the VIN to be on every registration--even a license plate number on an inspection sticker could be tracked down by the police or registry,once you find the VIN # you could have a new tag made or new numbers approved by the registry. All told,its a lot easier to do what Rene and many others have said--Its technically illeagal,but a lot of people do it every day,and I've yet to hear of anyone serving time for saving a 20 year old truck from the boneyard.
    If all this discourages you too much--the swap meets at Stafford Springs and Thompson Speedway are coming up next month--both are excellent places to sell vehicles and parts like yours,also both have a lot of good buys on stuff,I go every year if possible--you might even find someone there who has a similar truck with a good title you could get cheap just for the title and numbers.If the truck is in preety good shape,it is probably worth the hassle to get it registerable again--its hard to sell it for any real money for parts only,regardless of condition--thats why I just put another engine in my 79 C10--even with a decent rust free body,with no engine I'd be lucky to get 500 bucks for it--so I kinda had to fix it--at least its a driver again!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I just had another thought--if the VIN tag WAS there when you bought it--someone may have stolen it off your truck,and used it to register theirs!It might be worth it to have the PD see if they can do some research for you!.
    (VIN tags are riveted pretty securely to the dash--they usually dont just "fall off"--more likely it was taken off). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There are more VIN's on the vehicle then just the ones on the dash and door. I had a 73 Camaro that got stolden, I seen it and wrote down the plate number and called the police. They impounded it. The thieves had changed the vin plate on the dash and door. They had it as a 75. Luckly the officer that went out too see it knew the difference between a 73 and a 75. They found a VIN stamped on the inside of the firewall and I got my car back. NOTE; what I got back wasn't much, so it was still a major lose in my opinion. But there are more VIN's the police can find, and you can get new VIN plates for it. I highly recomend doing it the leagle way. If for some reson the police ever check and find the VIN has been changed, you will loose your vehicle, and you may be charged with a crimanal act.

11. speedyvision917

ok i have the bill of sale, and the title. so what your saying is that i can call my towns PD and ask them if they could come out and find another VIN number and show them my bill of sale then theyll go check to see if its stolen, if it is im screwed right? even though i didnt steal it... and if its not then i WILL or WILL NOT be able to another VIN number put on my truck?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ok i have the bill of sale, and the title. so what your saying is that i can call my towns PD and ask them if they could come out and find another VIN number and show them my bill of sale then theyll go check to see if its stolen, if it is im screwed right? even though i didnt steal it... and if its not then i WILL or WILL NOT be able to another VIN number put on my truck?

[/ QUOTE ]When I got my Camaro back after, the PD gave me a form too fill out too get new vin tags issues. As long as it's not stolden (witch I don't think it is) the cops can give you a form too fill out and the DMV will issue new VIN tag's for it. Makes everything nice and leagle, and no questions in the future.

13. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, go the legal route. If it comes back as stolen, you have a bill of sale so the finger will be pointed to him not you. Don't try to circumvent the system with a junk yard VIN. Besides, CARFAX already has that VIN listed as totaled/or as 'junk' - so if you try to sell it and the guy looks it up you may get a much lower offer than what ya want. Just my thoughts on it anyway.