Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to sell or not to sell

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Sep 4, 2001.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

have an 84 blazer which I bought without knowing anything about blazers. it runs great 4spd 305 with mint interior. the bad is the rust on the undercarriage which has eaten through at onespot. The option is to purchase another one which I have my eye on stock 88 who's undercarriage is pristine. cost is a factor. to repair 84's is unk plus paint. the 88 I can get for about$2000. which way would you go? appreciate all responses

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'd sell the '84 and buy the '88 if you could. The '88 is fuel injected which equals better mileage and off roadability. And if the '88 is a 350, even better, the 305's aren't known for their power. All things being equal, I'd go '88...but you didn't list the interior looks on that one...

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

3. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

I would agree get the 88 then decide which to use for parts or sell but an 88 for 2g's sounds pretty good. Of course many beer's may be the only solution to this problem or at least make everythind seem better:)

Subvert the accepted paradigm.

4. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I took a quick look under the hood of the 88, i don't remember any fuel injection. maybe the year is wrong. looked like the setup on my 84. the interior istan on the 88. it was ok but the interior on my 84 is mint. don't get me wrong my 84 runs great. i know it's a 305 but it is real smooth. plus it's 4sp which i like more than the auto (88). just seen the car in the lot for sale and wondered how much stopped in and the guy quoted me $3000 but sounded like two and he would take it. will go back tomorrow and investigate further. just re-thinking my cost factor here. considering the cost to get the 84 to where i want it really just the bad undercarriage. sell the 84 for maybe 1500-2500 and buy the 88. the 88 is white with beige interior. the 84 is black with beige interior.

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I bought an 84 that has a 305. I was going to replace the 305 with at least a 350 because I felt the 305 wouldn't be powerful enough. I've had it for 3 yrs and the 305 is doing great at 164,000. I've on 35s with a 4" lift and 3.73s. I can do 70-80 easily on the highway. It also has a 4 spd.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

the 88 should have fuel injection since they started that in 87, its throttle body though, at first glance it might not look that different. by 88 the 700r4s were being built a lot better than the earlier models. My 88 has 141,000 on it, with a mild 350 and a 700r4. I run 8" front springs with 2" shackles and the 6" springs with the 4" shackle flip in the rear. Sitting on 38s with stock 10 bolts with 3.73s. runs good on the highway and is strong off road.

My .02 is go for the 88 and get rid of the 84.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

3.73 w/ 38's???

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

3.73 w/ 38's???

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

9. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I do alot of city drving and hardly any off roading. the 305 as long as it's running smoothly is not the problem. it is the bodywork and cost of body work that has me considering this move. another factor is that I have two other cars a 69 firebird and a 70 nova, which both need attention also.

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yup, 3.73s with 38x14.5 swamper sx's, getting ready to do my 8lug 10 bolt front with 14 bolt rear swap, 4.88s in those bad boys

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

'88 for 2k sounds great around here. Where is the lot? I'll go take a look at it with you if you want during a lunch hour. I'm on 6th between 43rd and 44th during the day. If you decide against it, maybe I'll go for it...

Someone already said it, the '88's TBI might look like a carb with the air cleaner on, but it's pretty likely an injected unit. Go in skeptical on why he's asking so little, though. You probably know just as well these puppy's go for over $4000 in decent shape in the northeast, so either he's really new at becoming a dealer, he's had it on the market for months with no bites (very likely in our fuel conscious/tight streeted city), or there's something invisible wrong. See if you can get the VIN and get a carfax report on it. If you do and see any entry for "auction" on it, it's pretty likely he picked it up dirt cheap and won't lose money on it unless he gives it away.

Make sure you pull up a little carpet and check out the floor for rust. I just found some holes in my truck (which I thought was super clean up front), that can't be seen from underneath!

In any event, there are two benefits of buying from a dealer right off the bat: in NY, he's required to sell it with a new (not just "current") inspection (this means if it fails he pays to have it fixed until it passes at no cost to you), and he must warranty it for at least 30 days (there are exceptions, but I think the vehicle has to be very old or junk/salvage category). I looked into becoming a dealer a year or so ago, but found it too easy to get in trouble and be liable for the junk I was selling.

Good luck! Let me know if you want to swing a fellow CK5er by it!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

12. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Only this bit of adive for you - Keep the old and buy the new!

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

13. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

Went and checked the truck out again. not bad but not good enough to ditch my k5. it would almost put me back to where I started just on a little better platform. also the tranny was I believed changed to a 350 if anyone is interested let me know the guy is willing to deal.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Kenny,

I'm interested. Where's the lot?? I can go see it during lunch if it's in manhatten.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

15. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

Dont know if you got my email so here goes, truck was ok to start with but i'm to far along with mine to start over. the lot is in the bronx. Could go with you if need be.