Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To Sell or Not to Sell . . .

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by freakpower, Jun 17, 2003.

1. freakpower

freakpower Registered Member

I need advice. My '71 needs a rebuilt tranny ( Any Chance My Transmission Isn't Dead?), among other things, and I was pretty much convinced that I wanted to sell it, then later try to find another 1st gen. in the $4 - $6000 range. But I started reading the Should I Sell It thread where most folks seemed to advocate not selling (but maybe that guy didn't have plans to buy another). Then I went through the "rebuilding transmissions" posts, and the overall consensus seems to be that it's really not that bad after all. So now I'm having second thoughts on selling.

My issues are time (completely renovating my 80-yr-old house) and the other stuff the truck needs in addition to the transmission. I feel like I could easily sink $5K and who knows how much time into and it still wouldn't be in as good of shape as one I could buy for that price. I've always heard that it's cheaper to buy someone else's project than to build up your own.

On the other hand, though, there's the scarcity issue. All of the California boys on this board seem to say they're not that hard to find, but over here in Tennessee, I really don't see many at all. Finally, there's a certain degree of sentimental value.

Here's some pictures of it. I'd really appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.
    BSJ

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Your story sounds exactly like mine. New 50yr old house, no money, want to drop about $7000 into the blazer & then it would be perfect(except the paint job).

Your truck looks like a real project though. I think I would sell or part it & start saving for a nice already rebuilt one. But that's just me. I don't think I have the skills, money, & patience to complete something like you have.

There are a ton of fairly inexpensive 1st gens around here. It only costs ~$1000 to have one shipped through a carrier & then you have a rust free cali truck.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It look's like it has ran some Moonshine in it's day! Anything on it is repairable, but it will take time, and some money to make it happen. I would sell it, or part it, and then save up some money, to buy a nicer one in the future, just my 2 cent's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Perhaps I'm just a sentimental idiot but, I'm all for restoring the old rigs. It may cost a little bit more but we're saving something instead of just trashing it and going for something cheaper. Again just my two cents worth.

Allan

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I undertook my project and 2 1/2 years later it is close to an end, I personally would sell yours, some body may want it real bad for a rock crawler or a long term project.

The only reason I say that is because you can find one out west in great shape and at a fair price. The time and effort you would sink into making that thing rust free is just insane. Also working on two projects is like burning a rope at both ends. I say you sell it for a fair price, take your money and after you have doubeled that amount you get people here to find you a first gen in good shape, then you will have a daily driver and a project that runs and you can enjoy while still working on it. My blazer has nothing original on it exsept for the windshield frame and floor. I have replaced the rockers, every panel the frame, wiring and any thing else you could imagin, when I look back at it I just wish I had one that I could drive instead of push in and out of the garage durring those 2.5 years. They are out there and I personally see a few every day with minor or minimal rust.

good luck!

Look in the link below to see some of my fun times I have had /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Your truck is in better shape than mine /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...

and I just rebuilt my tranny as well.

These trucks are getting more and more scarce. I had a hard time finding mine. It is a CA truck and it has rust (I think rust came standard from the factory on these trucks). Fenders and doors can be replaced and body work done...it just depends on how much of a project you want to have. I don't agruee with the sell it and get another later...they are just going up in price...and they will all have their problems. At least you know what you have and what needs to go into it. That sounds better to me than buying a $10,000 truck and finding out that that "body off restoration" just ment 2 gallons of bondo and a quick paintjob that starts to rust through in a few months.

7. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Mine was in a lot worse shape than that. After 4-5 year it is almost finished. Looking back I would have done lots better getting a more solid truck to works with. Now that it is nearly over I am happy I saved one Jimmy from sure death in a junkyard. So my suggestion going by you pics is unless you have tons of time, money and tools sell it and buy an nicer one to build up. Patience is the key when looking...

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Looks like quite the project. If you've got no time (I'm in the same boat - remodeling & a new baby) you're probably better off selling that truck and getting one in the $5K range. Your probably going to need to put some work into a $5K truck, but for the most part, it should be drivable and look decent. For $10K or so, you should be able to get something that doesn't need much at all, but you won't want to take it off road. Good luck & let us know what you decide. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I am under the imprssion that this is his daily driver or he wants it to be. He could always buy another blazer in decent shape and have 2!

My main point was that rust free or damn close to it 1st gene blazers can be found and if you are trying to save time or money starting with a cleaner vehicle will save him alot of time and Money, not to mention it will ease his frustration, then there is the question, has he done body/metal work before? Also does he have the resources to be serious about a full scale project? If he can say yes then he has a good start, then he just needs a sufficient amount of time, money and a really understanding family who can say "it does look good honey" after he repairs his first rust hole.

Another thought is to ask yourself what you want out of this truck?

Clean daily driver with weekend camping?

Or a strict wheeler?

I just think that question along with serious planning will help you decide, also don't forget he already has one project which is his home.

Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I hate to say it, but considering your other project (house) if you don't have the body work skills, and don't own those tools already, I'd favor the house, and buy a more complete rig later. Sell it if you must, someone will buy for sure, or keep it around to scavenge for the next rig. Since you're possibly planning on buying a better one, losing the one you have shouldn't be too traumatic. Take care!

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BSJ,

Well, let me give you the simplest (and best) piece of advice I've ever heard relative to a "fun vehicle" purchase:

"No matter what you buy, be sure it's something that you absolutely LOVE, otherwise you'll grow to resent every dollar it costs you...." /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If you aren't 100% in love with the current truck, it's going to be hard to spend money on it. I can assure you that you will spend WAY more money on a 1st Gen K5 restoration than you ever thought you would.....I know this from personal experience. I stopped adding up receipts a while ago, because it became counterproductive (and I suppose I would be embarrassed to admit how much I've already spent).

BUT...

I love my K5, and I will never sell it....it is a very personal expression of my own ideas and hard work. It is hard to put a price on the enjoyment that I have received working on and wheeling this truck.

1st Gen K5's require a lot of "tough love" and $$$ to bring them all the way back to their former glory. If it doesn't sound like FUN to you....it's probably better to re-prioritize things in your life and start on it when it can truly be enjoyable!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Greg 72 - I hear that -- one of my first major projects was dropping $5000.00+ (in receipts) on a '56 Studebaker pickup --I never finished. I've since just spend what I could when I could on the current project(s).

This weekend the '52 Studebaker gets a head gasket and a pair of carb kits for the dual one barrels -- the 77 Vette needs the brakes checked/bleed (maybe more) ------ and the Blazer needs a tuenup.

I love them all and luckily the wife is currently working weekends.

13. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

it's rough, but I've seen rougher. I don't know about 5k more into it, probably. it's all about what you enjoy doing. You know what you like, so go with that.
    Ernest

14. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

"No matter what you buy, be sure it's something that you absolutely LOVE, otherwise you'll grow to resent every dollar it costs you...." /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doggone that's the truth!!! I just dropped $700.00 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for a complete MSD ignition and didn't even think about it! Well, since it's for my baby! I haven't spent that much moolah on my wife!