Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To sipe or not to sipe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by denver75k5, Nov 13, 2003.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Just got some 39.5 tsl's for the rig, should I sipe em? Ive heard good and bad about it , how do you guy's feel about it?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have you seen any after pics from someone who's had it done?

I'd think it could only help. My TSLs sure do float off the road quickly when driving in the rain.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't mind trying to sipe mine a little because my boggers are so wide. They do ok in wet conditions usually except if it rains really hard, then they're squirly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif How do you plan to get them siped?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

siping a tsl is good, especially if you use them on-road. mine dont go on asphault so I have put it off. The guys over at americas tire were willing to sipe the center 2 rows of lugs hella cheap though... think it was $10 a tire or less. Some people sipe their own, and thats fine, but for that low a price I'd prolly rather have the machine do it so the cuts etc were relatively uniform tire to tire.

j

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you drive on the street allot or in the snow and ice sipe them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Go ahead and sipe them, I've siped all 3 sets of TSL's I've had. I did them all with a carpet knife. Weeeee!

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

sipe em... keeps noise down, better traction, better tire life. Make sure you dont sipe the outer lugs, just the inners otherwise they will chunk driving down the road

8. denver75k5

Just got done doing it , I went with this article TIRE SIPING
    thanks guys..

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Cool! Let us know how you like it! Got any pics?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also in that article...he mentioned tire truing..$18 a tire!!!?? Didnt Greg72 pay $300 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Does it cost THAT much more for a larger tire /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Has anybody siped a bogger before?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can't see how siping a bogger could really help, but it might be worth a try.

I'm considering this now. Will it make a tire wear faster?

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Get IROK's, there siped from the factory! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool! Let us know how you like it! Got any pics?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also in that article...he mentioned tire truing..$18 a tire!!!?? Didnt Greg72 pay $300 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Does it cost THAT much more for a larger tire /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Siping.....Truing.....Grooving...... these are not interchangeable terms.

Siping is the thin slicing of the tread which removes NO material....just creates areas that can open up a bit and get a better "bite" in wet conditions and ice

Grooving is, well, cutting grooves in the existing treadblocks. Material is CERTAINLY removed for a step like this. The objective is more for offroad flexibility of the treadblocks and to allow the tread to conform to obstacles better. Believe it or not, MORE material is removed in this step than it is for tire TRUING! I saved all the shavings and groovings as proof. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Truing is the step that most people ignore or avoid (and after spending 6 months looking for a shop that EVEN does it, and then paying to HAVE it done I can understand why! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Truing is to take non-round tires from Interco and make them round (sarcasm) It's actually a REALLY nice mod for someone who intends to drive big tires on the street/highway a lot.....but it can get expensive.

I didn't get an "itemized" bill for my recent work, so I can't tell you how much of the cost was Truing vs. On-The-Vehicle Balancing....but, yes the total cost out the door was $300. Given that the process took about 4 hours....I didn't feel that the costs were unreasonable, it IS a lot of work, and requires a decent amount of skill to avoid butchering the tires.

14. denver75k5

Sorry guys still havent replaced my digi cam yet,,

[ QUOTE ]
    Get IROK's, there siped from the factory!

[/ QUOTE ]

The price was rite on the TSL's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I understand the difference. I was just going off of what the article posted about said. Mabye he got it wrong /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"My Swampers were really rough riding with I first got them. I thought they might "break-in" a bit with use (ha!). I thought the siping would help "soften" the ride (HA!). Turns out they were out of round, so I've since had my Swampers "trued" or "shaved" at Rayhill Wheel and Brake in Visalia CA. It cost me $18/tire and was done on the vehicle. The front tires were spun by the machine and a rotating cutter shaved the tread round. In back, we let the engine spin the wheels in reverse and the cutter did the job. This made such a huge improvement in the ride, with those 1/4" high spots removed. However, I had to re-sipe those blocks where the sipes are gone."

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep Rayhill is where I was planning to go (4.5 hour drive each way!) until I found the other shop....

Truing is AWESOME! Now that I know how much it improves ride quality on the street, I'm not going to stop telling people about it.....

I plan to be as bad about "truing" as Zakk is about 5.13s!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif