Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To spool or not to spool

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Apr 10, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am the happy owner of a 86 K5, except for 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires it is basically stock. I am thinking about putting a spool in my 10 bolt rear and the questions I have are as follows. WIl my 10 bolt break. Should I go for a mini spool or a full spool. I don't do any rockcrawling, I mostly use it in the desert and in the dunes.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to spool, I would full spool. DesertDueler had a mini spool in his 12 bolt and broke it after a couple hundred miles of street driving and some wheeling.

3. bajaviking

Will the spool cause something else to break more easily, the 10 bolt is not exactly famous for it's durability and I don't want to add anything to make the problem worse

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Possibly an axle shaft. I would carry a set of spare axle shafts at all times just incase.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Remember though if you put a full spool in it, you have to put on c-clip eliminators. C-clip eliminators suck. They are meant for straight line only. Ive seen street/strip cars with them on, and they all leak. Not only that, they dont always hold the axles in when the axle breaks. I have seen two axles still come out. Your best bet is either get the weld on ford 9" ends for it, or go either a 14 FF or go with a 9" With the 9" option you would have two choices. One is to have custom axles made for 6 lug, and custom brakes ($$$). Two is get a 9" ford with the 5x5.5 pattern, and get the front components from a ford and convert yours to 5x5.5. My buddy did that with his jeep. He runs a LT1 and a th400-205 combo, so he needed a chevy front axle, but didnt want a weak 10 or 12 bolt in the rear. So he swaped over the front to Ford style and put the 9" in. Works great.

6. bajaviking

I wasn't really planning on making that big a modification. Can I put a locker in my 10 bolt wihout blowing it up, remember I only run 33's and a stock engine. Anybody else has some good or bad experiences with mini-spools?

7. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

Dont waste your money. If you are wanting a spool I would spend the money on a D-60 which is probably less than that spool and just weld the spiders up. just my .02

8. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i would just put a Lock-Right in there.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I say weld your 10 bolt rear, break it, then upgrade to a bigger, welded axle.

Yes it will break with 33s and a stock motor if it's welded/spooled.

10. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I ran a mini-spool in my rear end for about 2 yrs without problems (before the 14 bolt). If you don't want to spend the cash, it's the way to go. I didn't have any problems with mine. Cheap as hell too.

Bo

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If your just running in the desert and dunes, I don't see how you'll break it very soon. That's almost less stress than driving on the street cause the tires can slip so much. I've got a lockright in my 12 bolt and love it, plus they're fairly cheap for a locker.

12. bajaviking

Where did you buy your mini-spool, can you recommend a manufacturer. I have seen them listed from $100.00 to $160.00 and I wonder if there is any real difference between the cheap and expensive ones.

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

.<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Not only that, they dont always hold the axles in when the axle breaks

<hr></blockquote> Referring to the c-clip eliminator. Thats to funny. When the c-clip breaks what do you think holds in the axle? Yeah thats right nothing. The c-clip and the c-clip eliminator are darn close to equal in strength.
    As far as the spool or mini spool ?. I think if you go with one of these I would suggest the full spool. Lil bit more money, but alot stronger. I would also give alot of thought about welding up your spiders. It would be alot cheaper and you will get the same effect as a spool. If you spool/weld will this make you more subject to breakage? The answer is yes. Chances are if you break something it will be your axle shafts. These are easily replaceable, cheap, and common from a salvage yard. Now you say that you are mostly running in the sand, well then I wouldn't worry about breakage at all. I hope this helps in your decision. If I were you I would really think about saving $160 and just weld up the spider gears (lincoln lock) and only be out the price of gear oil.

14. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree. Lincoln Locker all the way.

Will

15. bajaviking

I now a guy who is pretty good with a welding rod, I guess I will be visiting him sometime in the near future.

Thank you for all your comments.