Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to swap to 84-87 column, would you have to swap wirin harness also

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Nov 24, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the entire cab dash harness ? in order to swap older truck over to column mounted wipers and brights ?

probably so, but i want to make sure, plus has anyone here done this ? im thikin about snaggin column and cab harness from the 84 k10 we are going to use for parts out here, and swap my 83 over to that /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

could i swap turn signal stalk and harness parts from the 84 automatic trans column over to my 4 speed 83 column and still be able to use the column ignition lock housing ?

are wiper motors still same 83 to 84 ?

thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can only help a bit.

More than likely, the cab harness would have to be changed over, unless you wanted to do some cutting and splicing. Wiring colors, position, and quantity all CAN change based on the year of the truck, and the options it had. (things like door/headlight buzzer, etc)

The column parts are all essentially the same, although when I went from auto column parts to 4 speed/floor shift column parts, I had to "clearance" the cutout for the turn signal/headlight switch. Kind of weird, that may have been a year thing (although both were 80's), or bad tolerances on the two parts I was using.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cool thanks, that helps /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    i assume that harness swap is required, so ill just leave it at that, except that the 84 harness is auto trans 4x4 one and the 83 truck is
    manual trans 4x4, so hmm..

thanks