Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To Synthetic or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by high&liftedup, Apr 19, 2002.

1. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Hi all, I've got ~5000 miles on my crate motor and was talking to different mechanics about using a synthetic oil for the rest of the motor's life. Anyone have a recommendation, opinion, and/or experience on if they are worth it??.. Brand?? Viscosity?

I've been told they are costly BUT work great.. engine runs cooler, less friction and better wear....

Greatly appriciate it...

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've wondered this too about my 454 with 5k on it...

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I was told to run semi-synthetic, that way you can add a quart of normal oil on the trail.. you can not mix full synthetic and non-synthetic.. but can mix semi-synthetic and normal oil...

Go semi-synthetic...

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

The whole thing about not mixing sythetic and conventional is a myth. Semi-sythetic is just that-a mix off sythetic and conventional. If the situation arises, you can add anything that is available, just stay with the same weight and you'll be fine.

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Go with the sythetic, basically they work their magic by reducing friction. So it will help anything friction related, cooler engine, less wear, better mileage, more HORSEPOWER. They also do a much better job of maintaining their viscosity at temperature extremes.
    Well worth the additional cost,IMO.

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i use mobil 1in my parts getter(s-10),which also hauls a trailer for my company.i love how clean the motor is,i will use mobil in all my trucks.tranny and rear are synthetic to.

7. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

go synthetic. yes it is more expensive but it will pay off in the long run!!!

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You will get all the said items, but the overall effect usually isn't very significant performance wise. If you have a motor made for hp that is all roller, etc etc. then you may see some effect, but otherwise any power gain will be very, very minimal.

I personally don't run it in my daily driver because the cost IMO really doesn't pay if you change oil ever 2-2500k like I do on pretty bland/stock 350. The cost becomes more justified for a more expensive engine like some of the newer engines and dual cam motors out, because obviously a engine rebuild is more expensive. Plus newer high tech motors are running tighter clearences and better parts then most of the older 350 V8. For an off-road rig I think dirt in the oil becomes the number one concern (even if you can't see it by the neg. eye) and would rather change my oil more often to keep clean dino oil in. Overall you will get a hundred different answers in a 50/50 split most likeley. If you can afford the expense go for it.

9. high&liftedup

Thanks for all your inputs.... As far oil changing intervals with synth. oils, is it the same ~3000 miles??... AND yes, I agree, it does get expensive... I've got ~$4500.00 in the engine... not to bad, and this truck is not a daily drive and is used as a light/med wheeling truck..... But I would like to keep this engine for a long time..... I may try it for a while to monitor any performance at all.... I have heard that when you do switch over, that the idle goes up due to less friction....

10. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I recently switched to synthetic in my blazer. Regular oil seemed like it was breaking down too fast. I would change the oil right before we went to a mud bog and we got back it would be black. The only thing I really noticed was that the synthetic would still look clean when we got back, but the engine had less oil pressure. I guess because less friction.

11. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

I like the synthetic idea..and have a q of my own, I have a shift kit for my 700, and a pail of sytheic tranny fluid...is it alright to mix the two...say roughly the 6 quarts I am going to have to add with the 5 or so left in the tranny?

12. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

you'll be fine. That is what a semi-sythetic is.

13. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

the synthetic blends are a smaller molecular makeup which fit into smaller places therefore decreasing friction.. things will just run smoother and get more oil so to speak! if it's a new motor go for it... if not it may leak bad after the switch...

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

No, the interval of changing in the oil is NOT the same- with full synthetic it is recommended oil change of 7500 miles. HOWEVER if you are an off-roader- I'd think twice before I put 7500 miles on my truck without changing the oil- as a previous poster stated, dirt and oil don't mix well......

The thought on Synthetics in my house is a BIG discussion...With the Duramax, its the recommended oil- Delvac- FULL sythetic.....after the first oil change- which BTW cost over $150.00 I was a little shocked at the cost of the oil alone, not to mention the filter...however after discussing it with John, and our Service Manager, and everyone at the diesel page, I realized- that after spending the $$ I did for the truck, the 150 bucks for an oil change isn't that extreame. Being able to change the oil 1/2 as often as before- also makes the price a bit more bearable....

When we put the 502 in MUDNURI the only oil it will have in it- is the Delvac..the way I see it- if the "general" recommends it for the newer motors, must be worth it.

But again- just my .02 and most people here think I'm crazy for spending the $$ on the D/A, not to mention Synthetic oil..

Brandy

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if u have the ca$h, go with Mobil 1 synth... IMO its the best oil you can get period.

J

16. high&liftedup

Thanks for the inputs.... I see a vote for mobil 1.... How about the other Synth. brands like Quaker State or Valvoline.... I have only used Valvoline in all my trucks/autos.... AND yes, $$$ is a issue BUT I want to keep this engine for a long time!!!
    Know what I mean??

17. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I like/use Valvoline. Mobil 1 is really good too. Not a big fan of Pennzoil/ Quaker State, but that's just my opinion.

18. 77JMY

77JMY Registered Member

WORKING WITH LUBRICANTS I FEEL THAT SYNTHETICS ARE NOT ANYTHING SPECIAL THEY ARE MADE FROM THE SAME BASE OIL AS A NON-SYNTHETIC. THEY ARE MAN MADE. NOT NATURALLY ACCURING. THE ONLY THING IS THAT THEY CAN HANDLE ROUGHER CONDITIONS. YES HEAT AND WEAR ARE IMPROVED. BRAND SPECIFICES AREN'T REALLY IMPORTANT, OIL IS OIL IT ALL DOES THE SAME THING. AS LONG AS YOU CHANGE IT ON A REGULAR BASIS NO BRAND IS ANY BETTER THAN ANOTHER.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I hate to disagree with people, but I'm not of the opinion that ALL oils are the same. Synthetics commonly provide a greater amount of lubrication, and are inherantly superior with respect to the temperatures in which they break down.

All of that said, I agree, to some extent, with what you are saying about changing oil often... if you do, you'll be in great shape. Daily driver rigs especially, frequent oil changes are prolly more important than brand or type of oil. Still, some peeps here really work their rigs hard and for that kinda person, maybe a synthetic oil would be a good idea. The stuff is much better at way high temps. I know when I am in Moab this summer... and its 100 degrees outside... and my lil 350 has been tugging around 39.5s all day up nasty rocky cliffs and stuff... I'll be glad to know that my engine oil isn't breaking down. My 350 is relatively new... I don't want to cook it if I dont have to. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

20. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I just want to buzz in as I've seen this topic discussed to death on other boards, one of them an Impala SS board and the majority opinion is that synthetic (specifically Mobil 1) IS WORTH THE ADDED PRICE. Mainly for a couple reasons....synthetic does not break down as easily as dino-lube, thus adding better protection and reducing friction. Synthetic contains detergents which help reduce slug build up internally. Also the interval between oil changes when using synthetic is greater (depending on driving style, between 10K and 15K miles) so it might be more expensive when you buy it, but remember you're buying it less frequently. I'm personally running Mobil 1 oil, and ATF in my Caprice along with the Mobil 1 oil filter which again is three times more expensive, but if you've ever compared the insides of oil filters you'd pick it as well.
    Fundamentally, its more expensive for a reason, whether they're covering the R&D to develop it or the manufacturing process, but you get what you pay for. Think of it this way, its the recommended oil for the C5, Viper and Porsche. I think the engineers who designed and refine those cars are more partial to performance than trying to save a few bucks....../forums/images/icons/wink.gif