Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To those that have done the Dana 60 conversion already....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Waxer, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm about to swap in a D60 (which I pick up Friday) into my 74 K5 and I was wondering if any of you who have done this already had to replace the brake lines.

I have the pro-comp extended brake lines for my 44 and am basically wondering if they will also work with the D60.

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Brake lines should go right on

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I thought the banjo fittings on the 10-bolts and Dana 60s were the same, but they were different on the Dana 44s. Someone who knows for sure can answer up, but I replaced my front lines during my 10-bolt/60 swap because I needed longer units.

Lance

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Technically speaking...
    the 10bolt and 60 uses a 10mm banjo bolt....while the 44 uses a 7/16 bolt.
    They are different lines...or at least you "should" change them...i don't mess with brakelines though..dangerous stuff.
    Blake

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here are my thoughts on this, I changed my 44 to a 60 a couple of months ago. The only difference between the banjo for a 60 and a 44 is that the hole in the banjo for the 44 is larger since the bolt for the 44 calipers has a larger OD than the bolt on the 60. 7/16 vs 10mm or something like that. The shoulder on the bolt is the same diameter, and the OD of the crushwashers is the same between the two. This means that even if you use the D44 banjo with the smaller D60 banjo bolt, you have the same amount of sealing surface as if you used the correct D60 line that has the banjo with the smaller hole. I put my D44 lines on my D60 using the banjo bolts from the 60 and they work fine, at least during the bleeding process. I still need to test it on the road, but I see no reason why it won't work without any problems. I am not the type of person to take risks with these things, if I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't even try it. At the first sign of any leakage I will change the lines. </font>

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I bought some Pro Comp lines from Fox a while back which were for a 10 bolt. I took the lines and just drilled the banjo out to fit the larger 7/16" bolt.

When I bought the D60, I bought new 10mm bolts and used the same brake lines without a problem. Granted, when I drilled the fitting, I drilled it just big enough to get the 7/16" bolt in, so if you have D44 lines, they may not work. Try it and see.

7. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

depends on what year the dana 60 is. When I did the swap my 60 was a 1985 and my trcuk is a 1979 so the banjo fitting was different. all I did was get brake calipers for a 1979 dana 60 then they bolted right up. it was a little cheaper for me to do it this way.

8. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I drilled the fitting to fit the larger bolt with no leaks after 3 months. Another thing I did was to turn the banjo fitting 90 degrees, I beveled it with a grinder to match the caliper. I will take a picture and post it if I am not being clear.
    David

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you WILL have to get new brake lines. they will not work. the 10 bolt and the D60 are the same. the D44 is the odd one of the three.

i just did this on my 74.
    also another thing to consider, if you have or are going to do disk in the raer, use 10 bolt calipers. this way if a brake line goes out you can cap off the rear, put it on the front and drive a lot more safely home or to a parts place to fix it.
    grant

10. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I called the fitting at the caliper end of the hose a "banjo" by mistake. It is really a block and it will work on both the D44 and D60 with just a little modification as noted above.
    David

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my procomp brakes from my 10 bolt fit my D60. But... I wanted to turn the lil block thing on the end of the line 90 degrees so it would allow more travel... this was np on my 10bolt... just bolt it on at a diff angle. On the D60 tho, i had to shave a VERY small amount off the block thing with a grinder... then it went on np. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Sweet, thanks for all the replies guys. I now feel more informed and less worried about the small unknowns I'd have to encounter.