Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To those with hummer wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

What backspacing and tire size are you running on your hummer beadlocks? Do you have contact with steering components or springs with your setup? Do the 8-bolt locks work ok? Outside of re-centering, any mods (or tips) necessary to make these wheels work with the mag run-flats. That bring's up a good point , what's the official position (or your opinion) on the mag run-flats? Keep 'em, ditch 'em, what?

(Yes, I searched. I have read that 3.75 to 4.25 of backspacing is about right on, but few mention tire size and most of other questions I askedwere touched on but not answered.)

Thanks in advance,

Lance

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what size tire are you running? hydro assist?

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Right now 36's, but the ones I have are on 16's. I will definitely upgrade the tire size with the new wheels, with the goal being 42's. (But that is way down the road.)

No hydro-assist yet.

So....got any answers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again,

Lance

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got some with 3.75" BS and am running 38/12.5 SXs. I have not had any problem with rubbing on steering components or springs. In fact it has taken a minimal amount of trimming to clear them with about a 5.5" lift. I have pics of it minus triming in my photos. I am also using the PVC runflat that Daniel at USA 6x6 makes (they are his rims with plate centers). I have checked the nuts for the lock ring about every 100 miles and only once did I actuall have to tighten them. They actually hold up pretty well. My only complaint so far is that they are a rough ride but I went in the dunes and ever since then it has more hop then usual. I did run to about 5psi so I was thinking that the tire might have kinked on the bead or something. But I'm too lazy to pull them apart again. But so far on a 1- 10 scale I'd give them about an 8. Oh yea and this is a DD. It gets me to school, work, I pick up my hoes in it, ya know the whole deal.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine have 4.25 backspacing with 36's No steering rub..

[​IMG]

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Unchanged. D60 dually front end.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if your plan is 42's i would suggest 3.75" BS. the added width will help.

73k5tony510 runs 6" lift with 44" TSL's on 4.25 BS (IIRC) and his junk is polishing leaf springs. so that is why I would suggest 3.75"

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got some with 3.75" BS and am running 38/12.5 SXs. I have not had any problem with rubbing on steering components or springs. In fact it has taken a minimal amount of trimming to clear them with about a 5.5" lift. I have pics of it minus triming in my photos. I am also using the PVC runflat that Daniel at USA 6x6 makes (they are his rims with plate centers). I have checked the nuts for the lock ring about every 100 miles and only once did I actuall have to tighten them. They actually hold up pretty well. My only complaint so far is that they are a rough ride but I went in the dunes and ever since then it has more hop then usual. I did run to about 5psi so I was thinking that the tire might have kinked on the bead or something. But I'm too lazy to pull them apart again. But so far on a 1- 10 scale I'd give them about an 8. Oh yea and this is a DD. It gets me to school, work, I pick up my hoes in it, ya know the whole deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info and your wheel/tire combo looks sweet. Mine is a DD too and I figured they would crap-up the ride, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine have 4.25 backspacing with 36's No steering rub..

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you cut out the old centers and weld in new centers yourself? If so, how difficult was it? Got any tips? I am worried about getting the new centers in there straight, so I don't royally screw something up (like me when I am driving it).

The wheels I am buying I am getting for a good price and my cousin owns a machine shop so he's gonna make me some new centers. So as you can tell, budget is a big concern for me and I want to do as much as possible myself.

Thanks again,

Lance

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Anyone else?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I ordered mine with 3.75" of BS, but have not recieved them yet so I can't give you an opinion... I can tell you that I did lots of research and originally went with 4.25 since it seemed to be the most you would want to run them with with a 15" wide tire, but I sold those and got another set with 3.75" since I started to be concerned that the tires were going to hit the steering box pretty hard with the 4.25. </font>

11. 73k5tony510

73k5tony510 Registered Member

i have like 4 3/4 inchs back spacing and atfull turn right or left my 44s hit my springs.

12. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

So has anybody done there own centers yet, or is everybody buying them modified with their desired backspacing.

Lance