Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To tube, or not to tube... Should I go tubeless?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 8, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I found a guy selling a set of split rims that require the use of a tube. Now, every 4x4 I've ever run was tubeless but, tubes seem to make allot of sense (at least at first thought). Less concern about breaking a bead sounds good for one thing. Not having to carry a 44" spare also sounds good. Maybe just carry 2 or 3 tubes? Should be easy to replace with a split rim, right?

So, I'm sure I'm missing something here. Why does nobody run tubes on rock crawlers? Somebody please tell me why I don't want to use these wheels?

TIA

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The #1 reason must people dont run split rims is that you cant find anybody that will balance them. As for tubes they are a great idea. I run tubes in my slicks on the firebird. They are tube type tires though. It good because it only costs me $50 for a new tube versus 200+ for a new slick. BTW you can buy cheaper tubes for like 5or 10 bucks, but there not real rubber and dont transfer heat equally so it causes the slicks to oval and be out of balance. Not sure what it would do to a swamper though ?

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. BadDog

Balance, shmalance, this aint no pavement pounder! [​IMG]

Shouldn't be a huge issue for a rock rig. I think I could get by just fine with a simple "bubble balance". Might fool me though, I've never had a hard core dedicated rig before.

Russ

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Many tire shops won't touch a split rim. They're too dangerous. Lots of folks have been killed or maimed by the locking ring blowing off as the tire is inflated. It's very ugly. I'd suggest that you keep shopping. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not real sure that a tube tire would hold a bead any better than a tubeless tire when running low pressures........after all, 15 psi is 15 psi holding the beads on whether the tire has a tube or not. However, the idea of not having to carry a 44" spare does sound appealing.

6. BadDog

Yeah, I would hate to loose the ring and hurt someone on the trail. I guess I'll pass on the split rims. And, since I can't find any 20" rims with 8 on 6.5 without going custom $$$, I guess I'll pass on the 48x20s. [​IMG]

Russ

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I saw a video once where they had set up a split rim with the ring not quite locked down properly. Then they set up a life size dummy in front of the tire and started inflating the tire remotely. Blew the dummy into pieces when the ring blew off! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, I agree with Harry! I have a friend that has a couple of these split rims with decent tires on them. He said he isn't even goign to attemp to take the tires off for fear of the rim coming apart and taking him out. He said he would rather loose the tires than risk his life!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyur than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend at work has an old military truck (M-715) with the stock split rims. He has taken them apart several times, and if done properly with the right tools it's not that bad of a job. When I say right tools, that includes a special cage you put the tire in and a clip-on style air chuck with a remote valve when inflating the tires.

When dismounting tires from the split rims, if you take all of the air out them (like you would do normally anyway), there really shouldn't be any danger since the air pressure is what would blow the locking ring off. Though if the tires have been mounted for quite a while, the locking ring can be a big PITA to get off because of rust, but I have never seen a locking ring go flying off or anything.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Remeber that black F650 diesel? He was running aluminum wheels in 20 or 22" right?

Don't give up on the 48s!

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>