Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To weld or not to weld....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well I have been thinking about welding the front end up. I know a lot of people are against this and its a dead horse but it is about to be beaten again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok so here is my situation. I have a d44 front that I destroyed the front gears in. I decided to buy another to replace it since I can get a complete one for $200 and I can't afford a d60 yet. I would just save up for the 60 now but it is wheeling season, I have brand new 36" Iroks, and haven't gotten to wheel yet this summer.

So I was thinking since I have never had the opportunity to wheel with a rig that was locked (or even l/s for that matter) it might be fun to weld the front end considering that I have a complete axle minus gears for spare parts. The only reason I am considering it is because it will be temporary until I can get a 60 under there and I have the parts to fix breakage.

I know steering will be an issue but I can always hop out and unlock when necessary, and we have lots of soft terrain around here so I don't think it will be as bad as the guys playing in the rocks all day.

So what do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Should I give it a try? I know I will enjoy the extra traction and the only thing thats scaring me is that if I hate it I don't have the extra spiders in my parts axle to replace the welded ones with.

And please no "use a lockright, etc.." I am already biting the bullet to spend 200 on the new 44, like I said I just need to wheel now. (its breaking my heart to drive these iroks on the street only /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) So its welded or open.

Lets hear it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Open.

If you weld it you'll probably hate it unless you're constantly on a soft surface like mud.

I have never had a welded front though, only open or locked so I guess I cannot speak from experience on this one.

3. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

If you weld it, you'll be replacing axles. If you don't weld it, you'll probably keep most parts interally "together".

If you really don't care....weld it up. If it were me, I'd save the parts for spares for my new axle.
    -T

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I doubt I will need the spare parts b4 I get the 60 if I don't weld. The d60 is next on my list, everything that needs to be done on my rig is waiting on it. The 60 so I can do crossover, the crossover so I can do the suspension/axle relocation... you know how it goes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Leave it open and you'll have a complete unbroken D44 to re-sell when you get the D60...

Weld it and you'll just be learning how to fix and replace junk in remote and inconvenient locations. You want to wheel or you want to fix your junk on the trail while everyone else wheels?

Rene

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you're running in soft stuff when in 4wd then weld it. If you're going to be playing on hardpack or rocks in 4wd leave it open.

Mostly, it depends on if you need the added traction. If you're running something that you can survive being open in then why bother welding it?

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Here are the 5 steps you need to know:

1) Weld it
    2) Wheel it
    3) Break it
    4) Fix it
    5) Replace it

And before I forget... I farted /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif