Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To wheel in 4 low or not to wheel in 4 low, that is the question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Hello all,

I went wheeling for the first time last weekend and had one question. I have heard that some people when wheeling always keep their truck in 4 low. I am looking for some feed back from others on this subject. All comments welcome!
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What kind of wheeling are you talking about?

[​IMG]

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I would have to say mostly mud and dirt. There are not to many places to rock crawl around me!

Bigmeats

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigmeats on 03/02/01 07:12 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I always ran in 4hi. Though when the going got tough I would go to 4lo. I can see this helping not gettin stuck by spinning your wheels and diggin in. I havent gotten stuck much. And when I did it was the buried in a deep hole that was hiding in a crrek.

[​IMG]

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I wheel in mostly in big mud and run the truck in 4low. You want that torque when you're deep. When you're climbing or going down steep hills you also want that lower gearing. This also allows me to go down the steep hills hardly using my brakes. ( running a M465 ).

Theresa

http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/

6. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

I run 4LO in the gumbo and 4Hi in the sand!!!

Eat More Mud!!!!!

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

IT all depends on the terrain. I use 4lo as much as I can because it gives me a little more control at slow speeds

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i wheel in 4HI, and put it in 4LO when I'm stuck, and I've gotten out every time without help...so its not really stuck

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Transfer Case gear selection really depends on the terrain and exact situation you are in. Ok, I usually wheel in 4 lo most of the time, but in extremely slick situations like sand or mud, I sometimes reach for 4hi. The reason for this, you really want more wheelspin in these situations. If you lock it in 4lo in some mud, you could just possibly dig deeper by not offering enough forward momentum provided by faster wheelspin. I am sure some of the mudding guys would agree on this one. If you are not properly geared, sometimes 4hi is pretty usless with tall gears (3.08) and tall tires(35").

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

10. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

In my opinion you should start out in 2hi, that gives you 4hi as a backup, then 4lo when the going gets rough. But, if you're just crawling around rocks, mud, etc. you'd have to adjust accordingly. I prefer trail driving where you have a variety of terrain.

You can't beat going Topless!

11. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i have 3.08s and 33s, so in when usually driving around the desert i use 4hi. but when i get the slightest idea of running up a sand dune bowl, 4lo becomes the gear of choice.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

12. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

For mud and dirt I would run 4-lo...unless you are running across a long mudhole where wheel-speed and tire self cleaning could make the difference. I like to let the gears do the work. It gives you more low-speed control and ya should be driving with 1 foot on brake and 1 on the gas, too. Gives ya more control over tough terrain.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just being as ONE with nature"

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I run in mostly mud. I usually keep it in 4-lo. Even when I'm out of the mud and just driving around the trails, I keep it in 4-lo and use the tranny like it's supposed to be used - kinda cool getting up to 3rd gear (on the 465) in 4-lo. Pretty fast for the trails, i would guess about 20 mph.
    Doing it this way means you do not have to stop and possibly back up if you need to switch to 4-lo, Just downshift the tranny.
    About the only time I really used 4-hi for more than a few minutes was when I broke my rear axle abd so I put it in 4-hi and was basically running a 2wd truck, except it's the frotn axle.
    But hey, expirement and see what feels the best to you.
    -- Mike

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Last time I was out, I used 4Lo because my temp gauge kept trying to touch the right-side peg. I was "a little stuck" in some mud, and in 4Hi I had to use too much throttle to get any wheel movement. I went to 4Lo, and the temp stayed reasonable. I don't have a separate tranny cooler yet, so I'm gonna continue using 4Lo offroad to keep the stress on the tranny down. Plus, the extra controllability is nice too.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I always go straight to 4-low when I hit the trail. This gives you more power and control, and is easier on the engine and transmission. Personally, I would be scared to death to run a trail in 4-hi with my automatic due to the heat buildup it would cause (a lot of converter slipping when climbing over obstacles) and it would be the same with the clutch on a manual trans. I don't know of anyone in our club who uses 4-hi on any type of regular basis. The only time I use 4-hi is on a snowy street or in light mud on a back road.

16. DANOK5NH

DANOK5NH Registered Member

I always use 4-lo 'cuz I have an np203 w/ a pitiful low range of 1.96:1

If you ain't stuck, you ain't tryin!!!!!

17. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    your 4lo is not quite as pitiful as you thought. The 203s low range is actually 2.01:1. Or so i have always read.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

18. DANOK5NH

DANOK5NH Registered Member

Ah, I knew it was something crappy like that, maybe the np205 is 1.96:1, i dunno. Can anyone provide the shift pattern for my NP203? All I know is that if ya shove it all they way forward, it is "low" range, and all the way back is high. When I acquired this t-case the shifter plate was missing. Thanks all

DANO

If you ain't stuck, you ain't tryin!!!!!

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

DANO, the stock shift pattern for a 203, is:

Lo-Loc (Low range, center diff locked)
    Lo (Low range, center diff unlocked)
    N (No drive to alxes)
    Hi (Hi range, center diff unlocked)
    Hi-Loc (Hi range, center diff locked)

If it's been converted to part-time, then the pattern is somewhat different, since the case won't have any full-time 4WD postions any longer. I've never had a converted one, so I'm not sure how they shift after you do that to one. Mine had a 203 for about a month before the 205 went in... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

20. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I use lo unless I have to go more than 25mph. I have an NP203, which makes it easy to shift from the cab.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]