Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To yank or not to yank (rear seat) lol

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Sep 4, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ive been waffling with the idea of yanking the rear seat of my '84 K5. The interior is all stock and ive thought about yanking rear seat for more cargo room and maybe even pulling carpet and rino lining the inside (ill get the DIY kit).

What I thought about getting to help secure the load is one of those talilgate extentions and turning it around and putting it in place of the rear seat. This would keep gear from coming forward.

[​IMG]

Id like to hear from ppl with similar ideas or have yanked the rear seat out.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd just buy a rough but solid 3/4-ton suburban if I needed that much roofed cargo bed length.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

thats not an option. ive got too much money tied up in my Blazer.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Well, the seat comes out really easy. In fact, the stock K5 lug wrench fits the three attaching bolts that hold the seat in. However, compared to simply folding and flipping the seat up, removing the seat doesn't gain you a lot more cargo room, and the folded seat can be a nice cargo bulkhead.

K5_rear_seat_removal.jpg

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I have been putting the rear seat folded up. But you lose alot of space directly behind the driver/passenger seat, you jus have the limited space under the folded up rear seat, and the folded seat does take up some space.

Like I said Im still waffling about it. Never know when ya need to haul more ppl.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i took my seat out for a while. its a pain tho when you want to bring a couple other people with you, and you realize you left ur seat at home, so i put it back in.

7. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took mine out and threw it in the dumpster at my shop.
    Reason#1 needed room for a 42" spare
    Reason#2 needed room for tools and rec. stuff
    Reason#3 I drive crazy will only taking responsibility for 1 other individual
    Reason#4 that seat was burnt freekin' orange
    Reason#5 cleans up the rear of truck 100%
    I use my truck as a 50% wheeler, 50% hauler so it works out great, but i wouldn't suggest it on a D.D.
    although this contradicts reason #3, last time out my freind and his girl rode on my spare tire until i aired it out and split the trans in 2.:doah:

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I took mine out in my '78 and the carpet too. I put some heavy rubber matting down instead. You gain a lot of open space but it makes your ride much louder and also bouncey! I actually took the seat and carpet/underfelt out of my '91 last night so I could mount an OBA tank under the floor. I reckon the seat has to be around 60lbs? And the factory soundproofing/carpet has to be another 60lbs or so. It really makes some difference to the suspension. I'm keeping it all in the '91 once I've mounted the roll bar and finished the OBA instal.