Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To you 454/ SM465 owners....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am swapping in a 454 for my small block. I have a SM465/ NP205 combo right now that I am keeping. I went to the parts store today to price out a flywheel that I hear I will need to do the swap. None of them could help me... they dont have any listings for a flywheel for a std tranny behind a 454. Does anyone have a source or part number I can use to get hooked up for my swap???
    There has to be somewhere to get em!
    Thanks
    Mike

2. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hi! i don't have a part# but did you try a local machine shop? i found they are cheaper than some auto parts places. the 2wheel drive flywheel is the same as a 4x4. also i think the 454 flywheel is the same part as the smallblock 400 one maybe someone that has dealt with ext balanced flywheels can say for sure.

3. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I got mine from o'reily for $140. it was for a muncie 4spd in a chevelle, but I think the flywheel should be the same? but then...I don't know if they have o'reily where you live or not? surely somebody has to have one...they can't be that uncommon, can they?

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, we dont have Reilley... but maybe the application of Chevelle 454 might give me better results. For some reason, they didnt show a listing for a 454 standard trans truck flywheel. I could get the ring gear, but no flywheel. Beats me.
    Anyone else have any ideas?
    Mike

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Go to you chevy dealer and get the part number for the GM flywheel...then fo to GMpartsdirect.com and get the flywheel from there...IIRC, a new gm flywheel for my Gen V BBC was like 100

Chris

7. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

did you try that link? they are on there. if you look under about a '74 model K30 with a 454, it'll bring up flywheels(standards) and flexplates(autos). /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

AC Delco part #388002

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, that can work maybe. Are all the flywheels the same for the application? The 454 is an 81 I think, so I guess a 74ish version is the same?
    Thanks for the help.
    Mike

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

yeah theyd be the same. I just picked up a new flywheel for mine at the local machine shop, $220 CDN.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A place listed in a salvage yard trade journal called Bishop Engine Replacement Parts Inc.has listings for that flywheel,and many others both new and reconditioned.They also sell new harmonic balancers,timing covers,exhaust manifolds,and oil pans,rebuilt trannys including the nv4500. there is no web adress, but the mail adress is 301 Corinth St,Dallas TX 75207 fax #214-943-9247.
    I havent bought anything from them,so I dont know how they are quality and service wise.Not sure if they sell to the general public or bussinesses only. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

You've probably got enough info from the replies so far, but I bought my 454 flywheel from a local wrecking yard that carries them new. It wasn't much over $100 when I bought it. Since then, I've been collecting all the used ones I come across.

Both 454s and SB400s are externally balanced, but have different amounts of weight, so as far as I know, 454 flywheels are specific to just 454s.

Here's a link to the site of Spalding Auto Parts where I got mine.
    http://www.spaldingautoparts.com