Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to zero rate or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jan 2, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Well I got the 4 inch lift on. Im runnin 4 inch blocks out back for now cause they were free. I shackle flip is part of the plan for the future. Anyways on to the question. The back of the blazer sits lower in the rear due to the weight of 3 12 inch subs and all my tools. I'm thinkin of adding a zero rate to the back to level it out some.

How will this work with the future plans of a shackle flip?

Can I do this with blocks?

Can I use the zero rate to rotate the pinion up a little more to help the small driveline vibration that I have now?

Thanks for the input

2. mobydick

mobydick Registered Member

You might also want to consider using ORDs new HD rear shackles with the shackle flip kit. I am not sure the exact lift you would get with the 4 inch shackle flip and the 6 inch HD shackle. The 2.5 flip with the 6 inch shackle nets a 4 inch lift so in theory you would be looking at 5.5 inches, BUT it is year dependent and dependent on spring wear. ( if it puts your rear too high you can always use the zero rates on the front. lol)

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

u can get tapered ones to help pinion angles

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

not sure how a 2.5 with 6" eye to eye shackle would actually net a true 4"...MAX it would be 3.5 because stock shackles are 4" eye to eye and you have to move the spring eye down 2" to gain 1" lift AND if you actually have a correct shackle angle, you won't gain the full 2"...anyway, yes you can use a zero rate with a block, i did it with a 2" block for about 5 months, not the best set up, but it worked. You can have a zero rate tapered to act like a shim if you want, seen it done a few times. I wouldn't do that with a block tho, thats just asking for trouble.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Zero rate is fine with a flip. I used to run a zero and a shim. I also use the 6" shackle and I don't think that there is a perfect angle for everyone across the board. It depends on you and your wheelin style. But it did add a little lift to my truck.

6. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

comment

Get a winch to level out the front (im sorry i couldnt resist long morning) :haha:

7. mobydick

mobydick Registered Member

Well I didn't do the math on the 2.5 flip with a 6 shackle, Stephen, the ORD guy who designed them both, came up with that number. Let me quote from his site:

The "short" length is 4.5" center to center which is the same as a '88-'98 GM and 1/2" longer than a '67-'87. The "long" length is 6" center to center for improved shackle swing.
    Looking for a nice flexible rear suspension? Try our 6" SuperShackles with a '88-98 GM truck spring and our 2.5" shackle flip kit. This will net you a 4" lift with great suspension action and control. This system was the choice of Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad for the UAK10

Now maybe I messed up my calculation for the 4 flip and 6 shackle. I was trying to take in to account that he has an 86 with a stock 4 inch shackle. Maybe he will only get five inches of lift from this setup but he will gain a hell of alot more articulation than a zero rate and stock shackles will give him.