Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

toasted clutch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slinkychevy, Jul 23, 2002.

1. slinkychevy

slinkychevy Newbie

I am looking for some info for my 77K5. It has a 396 matted to a sm465. My clutch is just about to go and I am not for sure what size flywheel I have. Is there any way to find out with out taking the tranny down? I was also wondering if it was internal or external balanced. I am planning on buying a centerforce dual friction clutch. Does anybody have any feed back on that decision.
    Let the heavy chevys ride on.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe only the 454 is externally balanced in the big block family but don't quote me on that one.

I just got a new Zoom 12" clutch kit from Napa for my '84. It has a lifetime warranty and costed me $150 or so give or take. I haven't been able to use it yet but it seems like it'll work great. I believe the BBCs use the same clutch. I chose the diaphram pressure plate.

3. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm running a stock 350 w/ the 465. I have a centerforce II, and to be totally honest, I am not happy with it, especially for what the damn things go for. It just hasn't been a good clutch for me!
    Later...Allan

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i am running the 350/465 combo w/ the centerforce II and love it---its there when i need it---not there when i dont and it lets me feather quite well. i was told the dual friction dosn't let you feather quite as good as the II-----

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All I know is that Zoom comes highly recommended and is a lot cheaper than a Centerforce! I was going to buy the Centerforce, but it seems that the Zoom has just as many happy customers and it's nearly 1/2 the price.

6. slinkychevy

slinkychevy Newbie

Thanks for all the info and help with my clutch situation. Have a good one.