Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toasted my axle tube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, May 30, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I took the jimmy out for its first run to a bog a couple weeks ago, and thought i made it w/o any serious breakage. I noticed yesterday gear lube leaking around theinside of the driver side rear tire, so i thought i would take a looksy. Pulled tire and was getting ready to pull the rotor and hub ( i have rear disc brake swap) and it would move about an inch but that was it, well with a little persuasion it came off along with outer bearings in little pieces, dohhhhhh!!!. The broken bearing tore up my axle tube where the bearings ride. I called the guys who regeared it for me and said they would cut the end of the tube off and eeither fab up another end for me or cut one off one of theres. They said it would run about $300-400.00. Any ideas on another alternative. The axle only had less than 30 miles on it. I am guessing one of my friends that put that axle together either got the retaining nut to tight or too loose when putting the hub assembly on. Thanx in advance.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What exactly is it that is wrong?

Ken H.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Go to the junk yard and find another 14b ff and move your gears to it. 14b ff are cheap.

4. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Hey Ken, its where the rotor and hub slide onto the axle tube is all tore up, i couldnt slide the inner bearing off because it was gouged too badly.

5. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

the spindle? yeah i agree if the spindle toast get a whole different housing.