Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

today got me thinking.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 12, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well today i was just thinkin off all the work i need to do for my truck and now i`m thinking of stuff that could be wrong...like smelling raw fuel,valve seals...reverse feels like its slipping, motor probly gonna need work sometime yada yada yada...and somehow wanting to get a Jeep popped into my mind..i could use my tires, cheaper on gas and you can do alot of "cosmetic stuff" like bumpers,soft tops,roll bars and such...or an s10 blazer....GRR....someone knock some sense into me....i think all i need to do is get stuff done but it just aint happenin...someone reassure me and remind me why i have this POS

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

because it's cooler than a jeep POS

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i have a yj. i will give it that it is pretty capable for what it is. I wouldnt buy another jeep though. i just dont like it.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just say 3 Hail Chevys and go give the K5 a loving pat... :wink1:

It'll all be worth it in the end... Blazers are badarse, Jeeps are ghey.

Just remember to plan your upgrades.. Don't just run off and spend 300 or 400 on a hood or something blingy when you know you may wanna do some motor work or something in the not too distant future..

I'd love a cowl induction hood, but I know upgrading my radiator to a nice fresh aluminum one would be a better idea.. thus a radiator is ordered...

Build it to be solid and reliable... Do things once and do em right.. Overkill is a good thing...

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Sssssmmmmmmmaaaaaaccccccckkkkkk!

Because you can pass one in every colour option in one drive to work? Boooorrrring. Man, my '76 is rough around the edges and showing signs of rust, and it still turns heads everywhere I go. I've got guys in $100 000 H1's loving my truck, kid's, old folks, everyone. Because it's different and cool!

I know an old truck can get weary, I've played this game before and newer rigs can be tempting, but really, nothing beats a cruise in an old hunk of metal that still feels like a truck! A real truck. Vibrations, noise, and rough ride included!

Plus, if you get a jeep, we all have to make fun of you...:D

6. NEK5

off to a good start....i have to learn to chuck ideas like the cowl hood and such but i dont think i am ready to do any serious work such as motor/drivetrain...i wish i new all my problems exact so i know how to plan everything such as what to buy and when i can do it....i guess i wont find out until they get bigger/worse than there current state....i guess just thinkin about all that needs to be done now and what may need to be done is a bit overwhelming....i guess i`ll just have to sit back and watch

7. NEK5

in all honesty...which would be cheaper? considering both have offroad capabilities

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

If you are worried about what is wrong with it, why not bring it to a shop and get it inspected. Small amount $$$ to know what you have to look at replacing in the near future. Are you 4 foot tall and single.... lets face it there is no room in a Jeep for a family and they are no comfort of a ride IMO.

9. NEK5

well i`m only 17 and i think the 4cyl might help out my wallet...anyone else have an opinion that could make me change my mind or continue to want a Jeep?

10. Habez

Habez Registered Member

well. as you upgrade the Jeep, you will end up with Chevy parts. The same exact chevy parts you would be getting rid of with on the Blazer. From there you would go to the same heavy duty parts that you would do on a Blazer. So basically, you started off a step ahead of the Jeep crew with the fullsize. And if you really wanted to upgrade the Jeep, you would get the fullsize Chevy parts, then modify them to fit the width of a Jeep. But with the blazer, for the most part, it's bolt on.

11. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have had my Blazer since my 17th birthday and never done much with it. Couldnt afford too. Just keep slapping on 33 x 12.5 inch mud tires on a stock K5. Now that I am almost 25 I am finally gonna start upgrading. So I say hang on to it, drive less, laugh at jeeps. Seriously Habez is right about the upgrades. And also what you need like 5 inchs of lift to put 33's on a jeep. If you put 35's on it your 4 cyclinder with get upset with you. But all in all I HATE JEEPs so dont mind me.

12. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also a jeep won't be any better on fuel plus the Insurance will most likely be higher on the jeep and replacement parts are gonna be more expensive and harder to get than for your K5 plus you can't "SLEEP" in the back of a Jeep.......okay you can but her ankles end up caught in the rollbar and.....................

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget that unless you buy a brand new Jeep that it won't be any better as far as things that might need fixing, maintaining etc etc....

Rene

14. NEK5

even with the 4 cyl??

P.S. I think you guys are changin my mind

15. NEK5

also if i were to replace the motor with a rebuilt one thats built up a little what should i be looking for...the tranny, anyone have any idea why it feels,sounds like it slips when you first put it into reverse and hit gas, the rear end i would really love to change to a 14ff...what trucks should i look under for one of those..what are some other upgrades that you guys would recommend me doing??...i.e. radiator as someone mentioned, tranny rebuild with high perfomance or heavy duty internals,t case(will that ever need a rebuild),rear springs....i wanted to put a shackle flip in the rear but my rear springs are starting to get some pretty bad sag to them so should i just get lift springs?? also things like electric fans, are they worth installing??

i think that my mind has been changed and i deserve a roundhouse kick in the balls for ever wanting a jeep....i think now i want to just build up my truck to be strong and reliable....also there are too many local kids with jeeps, i`ve only seen a handful of trucks and or blazers like mine....and besides what would i call it....every one at shool knows me by either big ben, big blaze, or yo i seen that kid he drives a f***in tank

i think i like being know as that and have people know that i drive it. all in all they have no idea what goes into one of these....they`re all like oh i need to buy me one of them....instead of them doing that, there mommy or daddy will buy them a brand new car or a used one no older than 2000, they will throw some nice rims on it and they will attempt and unsuccesfully complete a tint job and be like you this chit is hot. they all wonder how the kids with 2003 nissans or 2004 mountaineers can afford them, well most of them cant which is why they have their parents, but i think i put more money into my truck than they would ever have in their wallet...so basically i like being seen in my truck, i want people to know that i have it,work on it, and can afford it...i want to put a sign on my truck that says "This is what you get when your mommy and daddy wont buy you a brand new car"...

and besides all of that the blazer is "bad arse" as ryoken said...i havent wheeled it but its fun to drive around anywhere even with the 3$ a gallon slapping me in the face, and it kicks arse in the winter...

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN CK5 FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!

16. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I have a '91 V2500 'Burb 350 TBI and the Wifey has a '98 TJ Sahara 4.0. I get 11.5-12 mpg around town and 17-18 on the freeway. She gets 15-16 and 17-18. We always take my truck on trips.

17. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Another similar point. Look at all the jeeps that people wheel (not the mall cruisers). You'll see crazy racks hanging off of then everywhere...why? Because they are too small and can't carry much. Granted, in a full size you are bigger on the trail, but you have the room all the jeepers are trying to create. Its like all the jeeps want to be bigger when they really use them to go wheeling and want to carry more than a cooler.

18. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

CAN'T HAUL A DANA 60 IN THE BACK OF A JEEP!!!

that is all :D :D :D

19. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If you want a Jeep get one, dont listen to the people that say "jeeps are ghey" and all that crap, they are idiots.. If you want a YJ get a 93-95, all have the 4.0 and 4.10 gears. The 4.0 is nearly indestructable and the rear Dana 35 can live with 33's no problem. If you want the 2.5 just make sure you dont get one with the Peugeot trans, they suck. Sure I loved my K5 but sometimes you just gotta change. Gas mileage isnt going to be as big of an increase as you'd think so keep that in mind. But if you truck is going south and you want to get rid of it I dont think a YJ would be a bad choice at all.

S-10 Blazer is another good choice, 4.3 runs real good. 93 was first year of Vortec on those. Id take a Jeep over the S-10 though if you wanted to do any fourwheeling just for the fact of the solid axle. Hey what can I say I have nothing against Jeeps at all, as long as its not covered in crap from Quadratec or some giant shackel lift they usually get my approval.

Oh one more thing, what about a Toyota? Look for an 85 Toyota pickup or 4Runner, first year of the 22RE and last year of Toy 8" up front. Solid axle yotas are very capable and that 22RE would get way better mileage than the K5 or a Jeep. You can also SFA the 86 and later ones really easy too so that isnt too big of a deal. Toyota would also be very dependable..

All Im trying to say is there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a Jeep, Toyota or whatever, if you do get a Jeep just dont be like everybody else. If you can keep your K5 well even better but like I said sometimes you gotta make a change.

20. blank

blank Registered Member

I love the replys to this post. We all have been down the same road I recently went through the very same thing even started looking for a s-10 wrecked 4x4 to build up. Finally I did tons of research and came up with this.

This forum and others like it along with ebay is all you need to find all the right parts and information you need (also local classified adds) the blazer is such a unique vehicle and its proven. look at auto trader you can buy a 97 Z71 for under 5,000 and right next to it you will see a K5 Fifteen years older than the 97 for 6,000. look at what a blazer sold for when it was new and then look at what it is selling for Fifteen years later Amazing!!

I can to the decision there is no better deal than the Blazer after you build them the right way SLOWLY!!! inside out you end up with a bullit proof offroad vehicle that fits all your needs not to mention looks better than any other truck out there. After reading your post the one thing you need and I have a the same problem is PATIENCE.:D

Oh what did I do when I had the same dilema I went and bought another K5 Now I have 2 to buy parts for. Stumbled across it when doing my searches and could'nt pass up the deal.:p: