Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Today is a holiday?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Since when is the day after Christmas a holiday? The whole town is deserted, like it's Sunday. Post office is closed, downtown is closed... I can understand having Christmas Eve and Christmas off, but this is a bit ridiculous..........:rolleyes:

Moreso because I not only worked Christmas Eve, but I worked Christmas day AND today.

Damn government. Seems it doesn't matter what side they're on, they're all friggin idiots...

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

most places here are closed also.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's Boxing Day!!! :laugh:

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yea its rigodamndiculous.. we couldnt work today cuz our material supplier is closed...

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, it sucks. I can't go to work today, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

french holiday, canuks tend to celebrate it. the rich would box the gifts they didnt want up and give them to the town folk/poor
    Grant

7. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha:

I am the only one in my circle of family and friends that has to work today:crazy:

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

This works better.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Capman2kSince when is the day after Christmas a holiday? The whole town is deserted, like it's Sunday. Post office is closed, downtown is closed... I can understand having Christmas Eve and Christmas off, but this is a bit ridiculous..........:rolleyes:

Moreso because I not only worked Christmas Eve, but I worked Christmas day AND today.

Damn government. Seems it doesn't matter what side they're on, they're all friggin idiots...
    don't feel so bad the wifey in the same business as you and only had to work today. but next week has to work friday thru sunday evenings. Just one of those things. Ma workin' for the goverment has all kinds of days off

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

what wrong with a day off?:bow:slept till 11 am today.

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Nothing, until it's someone else who probably works about as hard as I do with a more important job (in case you haven't heard, I stand around for 8 hours eating and talking) getting the day off...

btw the government comment is more a snap at the local government... What can I say? The Mayor is a fun guy to make fun of. But I guess it could go all the way up the line. Don't go telling your friends that I dislike Mr. Bush, I voted for the man and have his back :D

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've worked my share of everyone else's day off, can't say I quite miss it...

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Me 2

Yeah,I have had to work many a "halfass" holiday,where it seemed like only us auto parts store workers had to be there that day..and all the "saturday" type people would flood in,and make the day suck!..in addition to our regular garage customers who decided to stay open,and were flooded with people who'd broken down,traveling on the "holiday"..:rolleyes:

Only trouble was,unless we had the parts right on the shelf,we could not go to the nearby warehouse and pick them up--THEY had the DAY OFF too,and were CLOSED...:mad:

Of course ,all the moron customers who don't know a V8 from a hole in the ground, get the day off too!..and spend it pricing parts they have no intention of buying,and making us look up all kinds of non returnable special order crap like running boards,etc,we dont normally sell,that they should be buying from the place that sells them and has them in stock nearby..like "Pep Boys",etc..not our store.but they were CLOSED.....:mad:

I used to HATE those days!,not only are you in a foul mood because you SHOULD have had the day off--you spend it busting your butt waiting on morons who usually walk out empty handed..the only satisfaction I'd get was when I'd hear the boss say "we LOST money by staying open today,at the end of the day,when they tallied up the count at the registers..ha-ha!!..:p: ...(maybe next year you should GIVE US THE DAY OFF!;) )

Another annoying thing was the few days I DID get off ,were ones that I couldn't go anywhere or buy anything,like Christmas and New Years,or Thanksgiving..its like the whole world is closed those days..can't even get a friggin hamburger at Mcdonalds....:mad: ..never mind go junkyard hunting for parts,or do any other stuff..:mad: ..I don't miss those days much either Ratch...:crazy:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

didnt know that... we always celebrate boxing day by taking out all of the boxes that our stuff came in, and burn them. :D

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you take an 8 hour break and get paid for it, that's not work. :doah: one day you'll join the real world.

16. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

In canada Boxing day is an actual holiday so not only do all the banks and government take monday off they get tuesday off as well because christmas was on a sunday. Thats probably why most offices were closed on monday in the states. The same thing is going to happen at New Years on a sunday everything will be closed the monday after.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's observed here, but isn't an official 'paid holiday' like Xmas and Easter are.

I don't care, I took this week off.

Here boxing day is the big excuse retailers use to have a giant sale on stuff. All the really good deals are on the 26th, with some people camping out in front of the stores overnight (hardcore shoppers I guess...:crazy: )

Me, I went wheeling/camping and just got home. :D

Rene

18. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

According to the Canadian Federal Government you should be getting paid for Christmas and Boxing Day along with

New Year’s Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Good Friday
    Remembrance
    Victoria Day
    Canada Day
    Labour Day

I was here Christmas eve day and Boxing day, nice and quiet can get some catch up work done.

Jordan

19. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

i worked yesterday and got dbl time and a half... and it was so slow I went home for an hour and a half and did some work to my work van

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jordan, for many years I mistakenly thought the same thing about boxing day. Many places do pay their guys for it, but it is not a stat.

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/statutory_holidays.htm

From the above link.

Rene