Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Today sucked..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by txfiremank5, Apr 5, 2005.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I drove down to Corpus Christi today to pick up my uncle and take him to my dads, becuase he wanted to leave his car for my aunt to drive. On the way down, a semi one lane over and a little ahead of me, causes a full sheet of 3/4" partical board, that's laying in the road, to blow over into my lane. So I move to the left to avoid it.. and like a piece of paper blowing across the ground.. this thing, as I'm about to pass it, actually blows over and stands up on it's side.. and freaking obliterates the passenger side mirror of my wifes 01 Tahoe at about 70 mph. :yikes: :mad: Talk about pissed... I guess if it would have been my truck it would be no biggy.. I'd just wait and fix it. But, being that it's my wifes ride.. I guess we'll have to get it done. It's a major pain to see the traffic on that side without it... trust me, I spent a lot of time on the road today.. and know first hand. I never could stop myself from trying to look out that mirror .. :blush: Just those blank, black, innerds, looking back at me.

Something tells me it's not going to be cheap either.. heated mirror with the dimming feature etc. Plus it's an LT, so it has the body color on it, instead of just black plastic.. :doah: The mount seems to be OK, but the head of the mirror is a gonner. It also scratched the pass door glass up, and put a couple of rub marks on the body. That part was done by the plate behind the glass, as it dangled by the wires for a moment before electing to abandon ship ... probably out fo fear of being ripped loose by me.. ;)

Then I finally get home.. and the 36" TV in the living room has gone out... :angry1: :dunno:

Yeah.. today sucked... but I have my health.. and a good wife and wonderful kiddos.. so it's not like it's the end of the world. But, it would have at least been a little kinder to have to deal with each problem on seperate days or something. When it rains, it pours.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I imagine a board on edge could haev very well killed you

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should start a poll - replace the TV or the mirror first. I'll bet that unless your wife votes, the decision will be unanimous.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

But if she were to vote, I'm betting it wouldn't matter how unanimous it was. :rotfl:

Anyway, a couple years ago, I was coming back from dinner, about 9:30 at night, pretty foggy, with a lot of oncoming traffic. Some idiot decided that that night would be a good one to walk in the middle of my lane wearing navy blue. So of course I didn't see him until I was about 35ft from him (I was goin about 65mph). I had enough time to swerve into the oncoming lane to try and miss him, but the next thing I knew, I heard the most sickening crunch ever. You know, the kind where you sh!t your pants? Anyway, I stood on the brakes, put the truck in the ditch and grabbed a mag-lite to go see what I'd done.

Apparently, I swerved enough that my passenger side mirror hit his left elbow. He was drunk as hell, but he could still move his arm, and said he was fine. He actually thought it was funny....

Anyway, his elbow DESTROYED my mirror. That was a fun one to explain to the parents. Mom had me take it to the dealership to get it fixed (she still to this day doesn't think I'm capable of changing oil, yet I somehow managed to rebuild a Jeep..:dunno: ). If I remember correctly, it came to something like $200 with labor. Mine's a 97 and it doesn't have all that fancy heated/turn signal crap, but I figured my little story might pointcha in the right direction. Actually, I just wanted to tell it. And now I'm late for architecture class.

Cool.

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea no kiddin. If she's happy, everybodies happy. :o

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Well, depending on how old your kids are the TV makes sence to replace first. If THEY are happy the both of you are happy!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

That sucks..

Glad only your mirror got wrecked!--I had a tractor trailer lose the right rear dual wheels of his trailer right in front of me at 70mph--it hit the passenger side of my 69 GTO when I swerved to avoid it--took the mirror off,caved in the whole side of the car,and it climbed up the rear quarter and buckled the sail panel on the roof--plus I slid sideways for 1/8 of a mile,and ground the "beak" on the enduro plastic bumper flat!-

-I was so shaken I didnt even remember driving the car after the impact,and didnt realize what really happenned til the truck driver was shaking me,and asking if I was all right!--and I was parked in the grass off the side of the road,the motor still running,and in drive!--I dont care to have another call that close again!--I HATE following semi's,you cant see around them,they kick up rocks and trash on the roads,and often yoy end up with a cracked windsheild from stuff flying out of dump bodies--and they have a bad habit of flinging the entire tread off their recapped tires too--had one hit the roof of my van in VA on my way to TN--almost crapped myself when I saw that coming...

You might find just the glass for that mirror at Pep-Boys or a similar store,or maybe you can have one cut at a glass shop and silicone it in the shell..beats buying the whole thing and taking the door apart,with all the "power" stuff involved...

I'd fix the big screen TV and stay home,snuggle up with the wife and kids!--much safer than the highway,mirrors or no mirrors.. :crazy:

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Actually my wifes not worried about getting the mirror fixed.. but I don't want her driving around with it like that. It's a pain to see if the rt lane is clear when you want to get over. So, to keep her and the kiddos safe, I want to fix it. As for the TV, she said we should get a new one.. but I was sort of wanting to wait on that.. and had hoped that we could then put the 36" in our bedroom :cool1: . It's just sort of a bad time.. I had just ordered gears & install kits for my axles, and was about to order some 1410 yokes for the same. I was also looking at getting all the stuff for a 14b disc conversion....

Unfortunatly it's not just the glass part of the mirror.. the housing around it is all cracked up, but the "post" that mounts to the corner there is still OK. I would imagine it all comes as one unit though. I'll have to see what I can find. If I can get it somewhere... I should be able to slap it on & be done with it. The TV will have to be addressed for sure... I still have a little one at home that needs her scooby fix everyday... :D So I can either see about getting ours fixed.. or do some TV shopping.