Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Today's adventures and a SPECIAL NOTE FOR 205 OWNERS

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Mar 29, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Today\'s adventures and a SPECIAL NOTE FOR 205 OWNERS

Well my adventures today with James the Orange Beast

Got Everything back in after rebuilding the tranny and tcase, (205 w/ fixed yokes), Well all good, Lesson #1 to learn is it is a lot easier if you bolt up the cv joint to the tcase before you put it back in, very time consuming turning bolts 1/8 turn at a time w/ the crossmemeber in the way, Well got it all back together and some fluid in it and now I'm not getting any gas up front. Poo, so I"m going back to check that out later I think...

Hope everyone else is having success and enjoying this weather, wahoo it's back in the 70's

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Today\'s adventures and a SPECIAL NOTE FOR 205 OWNERS

Les,

You made me laugh with the 1/8-turn-at-a-time comment. It's the kind of thing nobody appreciates until it happens to THEM!!

The only thing I found that made it a little easier was to use a box-end wrench to hold the bolt steady and then turn the front driveshaft instead of the wrench. That was good for just under 1/2 turn each time and once you get the hang of it, you can pull the wrench off.....rotate the driveshaft back into position, and start over pretty quickly.

I agree that it's still a crummy design though.....I thought maybe I just didn't know the "secret" but it looks like it's tough for everyone!

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well greg glad someone appreciates the difficulties here, I got kinda lucky, I have my tranny tunnel out right now and the tcase was in neutral so... I could approach part way from the top and bottom, goofy angle approach, the work it around the top to snug them down..
    Have you rebuild / repacked or torn into your hubs at all?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Not yet.....I want to convert my truck to 3/4-Ton for BlazerFest in June, so I'll be doing the 8-Lug conversion on the D44 before then....so I'll be doing hubs at some point.

Also I was thinking of "freshening up" the D60 I've got with all new bearings/seals & 35-spline outers.....so I'll be doing hubs again there....! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

For now, my projects are more modest. I got the 1-Ton axles under the "extra frame" today, so I could roll it out of the garage.....giving me access to "The Pulleys From Hell" to lift my hardtop off for the season! I've still got to put my dash back together since I have NO gauges in it right now.....just a big gaping hole with a bunch of wiring harnesses.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ya know on my 72 I actually drove it across town twice with it gutted completely, LOL, a 3 gal bucket for a seat and no dash

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

if ya have a impact wrench with a 9/16 socket and extension...you can reach the bolts in the cv...i can have my front shaft off in under 3 mins (thats after i find all the tools)

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Not sure what your talking about chaz, these are on the back side between the cv and the tcase

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

I know what he's saying but some of us aren't blessed with a compressor.But I don't think an air rachett would fit in there.I couldn't fit my 1/4" rachett in there,all I could fit was a wrench.Very little room between the 205 and the bolt.I wanted to do the front u-joints 2 weeks ago on my 205 equipped 71 Blazer but quit after about 20 min. with no progress.I would have paid for an 1/8 of a turn at a time then!

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well thats what the extension is for...i have about a 2 foot extension i use with the impact

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

When are you going to have that thing running? Good to hear you're having progress...missed ya this weekend though.

I've got new 38" shoes for mine, and a tranny sitting in the floor. Sounds like we're on the same page there almost. I remember when we stabbed that thing in last time...you're not here to help this time /forums/images/icons/frown.gif hehe

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well dude that beast is all back together, I just have to go work out a kink on why it's not getting fuel now, all in and fluids filled..... Hopin to here that beast rumble tommorrow

12. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

I may have misunderstood the situation here but I'm getting it that your all talking about the first generation front shaft? I switched to the 2nd gen case with the flange and fixed yoke...easiest driveshaft change ever. Course it helped I had a parts truck to scavange. Also requires different crossmember (Which I found on this board for a very fair price).