Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Today's after work project -pics-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, May 25, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I bought some metal yesterday to make a cargo box for the jimmy, cut the metal at my shop today. I bought a 4ftx 12ft sheet of 1/8th inch steel diamond plate for about $200. I tacked it together today. My rods that came with my welder when I bought it are really old I think and I'm going to buy some new rods this weekend and weld it up good. I've got a few gaps (my sidewalk is uneven). I was going to make some strips to patch it with. I just tacked it for now. It measures 48inx 24inx 21 in. and I will make the lid once the bottom is welded. What do y'all think so far? I'm still really new to welding and this is my first official truck welding project. I also just felt like throwing a pic of my dog in too.

5-17 017.jpg

5-17 018.jpg

5-17 021.jpg

5-17 019.jpg

5-17 012.jpg

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just a tip, weld only the outside seams. If you weld it inside anywhere it'll distort really bad. If you've already welded it inside and have found this out the hard way, get an air hammer and peen the welds all around. You'll soon see the box take it's former shape.

An outside "corner to corner" weld doesn't hardly distort at all...a fillet weld (T-joint) will pull like a bastard.

Rene

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Dude!!! I thought backyards that small only existed in california!

And just curious,how can 2 panels, without being re-arranged, have a corner to corner joint on one side, but a T joint on the other? Watching for distortion is a good point. If it were getting bolted in my junk, with the "I made this" label, I would tack it together in the corners first, then check to make sure I didn't make a leaning rectangle :doah:then have it MIG welded! But thats me. I hate stick welding.

Now I remember why I bought a lincoln.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Looks like base housing!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

"T" joint was for lack of a better description :doah: :p:

6013 downhand on the outside corners would work fine, then a couple of stitch welds inside afterwards...Also bracing the box from corner to corner while it's still square would help a lot.

Rene

6. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's base housing, my backyard is only 20ft by 20ft! I wish I had more stripes ( I only have 2) so I could live in the brand new housing they just built outside the gate. Base housing management don't like my truck, but the hobby shop is always open when I want to work on it. Anyways, yes I welded the outside corners, mostly because it is easier to weld it that way. I'll post up some more pics this weekend when I get it fully welded.