Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Today's Darwin Award

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

A would be Super Bowl reveler thought he could fill a balloon with welding gas and blast it at a party, but instead it exploded in his car, busting out all the windows, bending doors outward, and pushing up the roof about a foot, Arapahoe County sheriff's deputies said Monday.

Norman Frey, 46, of sheridan and an unidentified woman suffered possible shrapnel wounds and busted eardrums in the explosion Sunday as they drove to a Superbowl party, according to the sheriff's report.

Frey faces a felony charge of possession, use or removal of explosives, which is punishable by 2 to 6 years in prison. Several people reported the explosion, but when the deputy arived, Frey and the woman had abandoned the vehicle. A passer-by had given them a ride home.

A Deputy "discovered a white passenger vehicle with obvious signs of an explosion in the passenger compartment," according to the statement, adding the license plate led them directly to Frey's home.

The balloon had been filled with acetylene, a flammable gas used in welding, and it had rolled across the back seat, possibly causing static electricity that ignited the gas, according to the sheriff's report.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We make those camping - oxy bomb - they would blow the s**t out of a car from the inside. People are soooo stupid.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

heard that on the radio yesterday, thought it was hillarious. i bet the guy was smoking also.:haha:

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

My uncle did the exact same thing one year for halloween. His didn't go off in the car, but after we set it off he trned ghost white and said

"Wow... I didn't know it would do that big of an explosion. I drove here with it in the backseat of the car."

He never did it again.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

How do a make one? And then how do I detonate it?

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't do it.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Alright. :(

8. cbbr

Use a small bag. Fill with oxy. Either put a rock in the bag and toss it at a fire or run some gas or something to the bag and light it. Run.

We have filled garbage bags with it and floated them towards the fire, but it ain't a great idea. Just try it with a small bag and you will see why - the stuff is very, very expolsive.

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

My friend and I used to do that at the impound yard where we work, using balloons. I made some fuses by dissolving some KNO3 in water then soaking cotten string in it. After the string dries is makes for a nice slow burning fuse. Just one regular balloon set off car alarms almost two blocks away!!! But never transport one in a car. The smallest static spark can set it off, as per the article. I have often thought taping one to a helium balloon and using a long fuse..........

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too powerful to fool with!...

I know a guy who loved to fill 5 gallon plastic pails with a 50/50 mix of acetelyne and oxogen,and shoot them with a .22 rifle to detonate them!..they can be heard (and seen) for miles..and WILL KILL anyone within 50 ft of them,if your standing in the wrong spot!..

He had one go off by itself as he was bringing it to the secluded area in the back of his pickup ..it blew the back wall of the cab in about a foot,even bent the seat like a bananna!..it shattered the windsheild and one side window on the passenger side,and the door was bent outward up near the roof!..

I told this to another guy who was into firecrackers and explosions...he said once he was out drinking with friends,and they decided to "bomb" a guys house with a hefty trash bag full of oxyacetalyne..guess he was dating his ex or something,and he wanted to give the guy a scare..they tied the bag to the railing on the front porch..and lit the fuse they made out of firecracker fuses twisted toghther and ran back to their car and waited several minutes..

They thought the fuse went out,but just as they were going to get out of the car and look,it went off with a HUGE bang,and it lit up the entire street like a bolt of lightning!..when the dust cleared,the porch was 80% destroyed,and ripped away from the house,and the roof over it was dangling
    by a thread!...they were very lucky to have gotten away before anyone saw their car,and got a plate number..the owner came runing out in his BVD's..:eek1:

He said they would NEVER do anything like that again,EVER!..the guy in the pickup was deaf in one ear for a long time..and his truck was a total loss.:doah: he's lucky to still BE here...:crazy: ..I bet the other guy dropped his girlfriend,and needed new BVD's after that night..:p:

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

AAAAAAAAAAAA that reminds me of my wasted youth,we had a neighbor we didn;t like and taped 3 M-80s to his porch.:laugh: it lit up like day light when it went off and you could see my brother running off the porch.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    This is something everyone should follow.
    I know people that have done it and although, I like a good bang,
    this is something you shouldn't try if you value your hearing and/or life.
    Hold a black cat in your hand, it won't hurt as much.
    (this is not for divorced it's for everyone)
    Even a small one can hurt you bad.
    no need to say more.

13. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

My uncle used to make those. Dont know what he would use for a wick but he would light it and run. He used to use normal balloons but found the the oxy/acel molecules were smaller then the rubber and would leak out kinda quick. He found that the mylar balloons worked better.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ever made a sobe bomb? We do these at glamis sometimes. Take a sobe bottle and put onyl a few ounce of gas in it, doesnt take much. Put a small hole in the lid and screw it on, then you have to put it in the camp fire and stand back while the gas begins to boil. When it finally does go off you get a huge mushroom cloud explosion that goes proabably a good 30 feet into the air. The bottle doesnt explode just a huge cloud of fire, its really quite amazing. Well, I dont actually do this but my friends that we go with do, I value my hands and life too much to do stuff like this. And besides when I was 16 I got arrested for making picillo pete bombs out of 2 litre bottles. So I dont mess around with explosives unless I was a trained proffessional.

15. cbbr

Nope.

[​IMG]

:whistle: :D

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

OH HELL!

There's no need to find Darwin winner's in the paper when we have so many right here. :doah: :rotfl: :rotfl: :haha: