Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toe Problems :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5freak44, Dec 27, 2005.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

This is kind of a weird Tech question to ask but i have an ingrown toenail that wont go away. I have had it cut out twice and i really want to avoid going back again. My question is does anyone here have any tricks that will get rid of this thing???

It has been infected for quite some time and the area that is ingrown is right at the base of the nail. Ive tried cutting it out myself, packing cotton under it, so many diffrent things but im really worried that it could progress onto something worse.

What do yall do to get rid of this thing?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I guess you didnt have a doctor cut it out??
    I had both of my big toes done on either side. What they do is numb it up then cut it down to the base on either side. Then they have this special stuff that they put on there that stops the nail from ever growing that way again.
    Basically it guarantees that you never have a in gown toe again.

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

had a doctor do it for the 1st time about 5 years ago

it came back and i had it done again by a diffrent doctor about a year ago

and its back again

4. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

I had both sides of my right big toe nail done a couple months back, one side is still where it was the day the doctor cut it, but one side has grown back. :( So I don't know what to tell you.

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I had the one on my right foot cut off and killed after I went thru what you're goin g thru, It hasn't grown in 5 years and it was tender there for a few months, now it's dried and hard as a shell. I don't remember what the process was called tho'

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i cut them out myself
    usually they dont come back, if they do i get them before it hurts to bad

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Let it grow through and gut it out. I had on for YEARS.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ingrown nails sometimes do grow back. On some people a podiatrist can remove it once and that's it. On others, their genetic make-up makes that more difficult. I will tell you tho, that if the podiatrist removes the nail down to the bed but does not apply sufficient phenol under the bed to kill the root, it will inevitably grow back.

Go see another podiatrist and make sure to tell them that you want enough phenol in there to kill the root as it has grown back a few times and you aren't sure that phenol was used in previous treatments. They'll say there's no gaurantee it won't return, and there isn't, but at least the podiatrist will know that you've had previous problems and that you know the application of phenol is necessary.

BTW, I have a client who is an excellent podiatrist in Sherman, TX. About 40 minutes from you. This guy is honest, smart and a great doctor. Name's John Sciortino, DPM. Phone: 903-893-9661. He'll fix you up.

9. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

i had luck with cutting a V on the front part of the toe nail it kinda relieved pressure on the sides..might look kinda weird, but worked
    i cut it down as far as i could. just a little into the root too .. good luck...

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Phenol??

I wonder if its the same "Phenol" in those sore throat sprays ....hmmm:thinking: .

I haven't had an ingrown toenail in quite a while,and I don't miss them a bit!..thankfully the few times I have had them,chopping the toenail down to the root with nail clippers and pulling out the ingrown side areas,though painful for a few days,has always worked for me..makes life miserable until they heal..:mad:

I don't think mine ever got infected though..I soak my feet in a boric acid solution,or "johnsons" foot bath stuff once in a while..I use gold bond powder a lot,and if you don't soak your feet it builds up in the toenails and causes more greif..plain ol hot water works too..Hydrogen Peroxide will help stop any infections..:crazy:

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

This phenol is a weak acid. Would burn the crap out of a throat AFAIK.

His toe is infected and it may be under the nail bed. Infections can get bad quickly. The infection itself needs to be treated before the ingrown nail can be resolved. Infections on the toes can become systemic. He should see a doctor and not self treat.

As a note, ingrown nail recurrence is related to blood getting in the area of the removed nail as blood dilutes the effect of the phenol. Statistically, the incidence of recurring ingrown nails also increase with bathroom surgery (DIY stuff).