Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tom & Jerry in trouble in for smoking scenes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Aug 22, 2006.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

LONDON (Reuters) - They chase each other at high speed, wielding axes and hammers. But the famous cartoon duo of Tom and Jerry are in trouble in Britain for smoking on screen.
    Media regulator Ofcom received a complaint from a viewer who took offence at two episodes involving smoking.
    In one, "Texas Tom," the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the other, "Tennis Chumps," Tom's opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.
    In a bulletin posted online, Ofcom noted "concerns that smoking on television may normalize smoking," and said that the Turner company, licensee for Boomerang which aired the cartoons, had agreed to edit some smoking scenes out of Tom and Jerry.

"The licensee has ... proposed editing any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation," Ofcom said, adding that "Texas Tom" was one such example.
    But it would not cut all smoking scenes, it added.
    Ofcom said it recognized smoking was more generally accepted when cartoons were produced in the 1940s, 50s and 60s, but noted that the threshold for including such scenes when the audience is predominately young should be high.
    © Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I wondered why my 5 year old daughter was trying to buy smokes at Safeway. We watch Tom & Jerry every day.:D

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I still laugh my ass off at Tom and Jerry, and the kids (ex-girl's neice and nephew) kept giving me funny looks.

I miss the toons with Bugs Bunny manning the AA battery...

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

cartoons now days,,,,well i don't consider then cartoons anymore, nothing but violence and blowing things up,,,and we wonder whats wrong with kids now days, that and poor parenting,,,,,

sit the kids in front of the T.V. to watch that crap, while they go and entertain themselves in other ways:rolleyes:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cant leave anything alone,can they?..

First they ruined the Bugs Bunny and "Loony Tunes" by chopping out all the best parts--now its spreading to "Tom and Jerry"??...Foghorn Leghorn,Sylvester and Tweety,Yosemite Sam,Elmer Fudd,and many other toons had footage removed due to "racial overtones",or "excessive violence"...even Hank Williams Jr. lamented the "politically correct" folks ruining the cartoons,in his "Coalition against Coalitions song on his "America,The Way I See It" CD...

I wish they would just let things remain the way they were...sure,times have changed,and things are different now..but just maybe,having those "toons" unmolested would give a history lesson to those too young to have seen them...not only that,they just ain't funny with footage removed!..

I am glad I taped all the "3 Stooges" shorts before the censors chopped them up.....:mad:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

violent cartoons don't make for uncontrolled violent people. All I watched as a kid was GI Joe, Transformers, Voltron, Star Blazers etc etc... all violent crap, all blowing stuff up. Somehow I ended up not being a serial killer or a Columbine psycho.

Like many aspects of "Political Correctness", this Tom & Jerry thing is completely moronic.

j

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Alrighty then. Stupidity levels have reached an all new low with censoring cartoons of my youth. Does anyone else feel like yelling at the top of your lungs?