Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tom Woods driveshafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw a post by CaptnCrunch (sp?) who said he had a slip yoke CV shaft. Does anyone know what series u-joints are in that thing. I was looking for a new shaft (I have a slip yoke NP205 and have been unable to find a fixed yoke case to convert) and Jesse's are big/strong 1 ton joints (but no slip yoke style) in his CV's, but Tom Woods look smaller. Anyone know for sure. I would like to buy my shafts from Jesse because he has given us (members of several boards) lots of great info, makes a high quality products, and supports us, but if I can't find a donor NP 205 fixed yoke I may have to go the route of slip yoke CV and even though I would prefer a shaft from HighAngle, Jesse is not too fond of making them and I may have to go with the Tom Woods shaft, so I was just curious of the strength and type of joint.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Call them and ask. 1877-497-4238. I too would like to have used Jesse, but seeing as how he would rather not take my business. I have to go else where. My application doesnt call for a fixed yoke so why should I spend more $$$$( $150 + ) in the first place to do buy a kit to upgrade?

3. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I too am stuck in this CV dilema. I have a NP241 and don't really have almost $900 that Jesse is going to charge to convert it. My question is do I really need it. I don't do no heavy wheeling. I just want to get rid of the vibrations from the Shackle flip. I don't want to lower my transfer case either. But I also belive in doing it right the first time and not having to worry about it. Tom Woods were going to hook me up with a caddy slip yoke and a CV for $375 versus $900 for the conversion. Tough decision!!!!

Who all is using the Slip yoke Eliminator and who's use a Tom Woods?

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

In my experience, the SYE is highly overrated. A friend of mine has a '77 3/4 ton truck with one ton axles, 400+ horse 454, 15" lift, 44" Boggers, and runs a TH350 and 208 transfer. He runs it HARD in the sand of Rosarito Beach (Baja, Mexico) and has had zero problems with the slip yoke. Sure, he has busted a few 208s IN HALF, but nothing has ever gone wrong with the slip yoke. Save your money for a better upgrade, rather than a SYE.

ken

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

High Angle Driveline DOES make a slip yoke CV driveline for the 241.

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Has he ever been stuck somewhere cause he had to remove his rear driveshaft? Cant go nowhere without that rear driveshaft in less you got a good way to attach a gatorade bottle to the rear of the T-case to retain you fluid. The only problem with that is that duct tape and gatorade bottles will melt and t-cases do get hot.
    But from this point on, its all opinion. Yes the slip yoke will give you years of good service with certain drawbacks. But personally I would prefer to have the piece of mind that I could have my T-case at its designed height and location and know that If I come down on a good rock adn destroy the rear shaft that I can simply remove and continue on.

Depdog has purchased some sticks from Woods and has done much wheelin and has the shakle flip, if I remember correctly. Give him a buzz and see what he says.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Funny 'cause I have done it and not had a problem with the ghetto setup like that. I now carry large rubber stoppers for jars the fit snugly into the hole and then use the tape to hold them in. Drove from my house to baltimore to make sure this fix would work. That was 20 min including stop and go.

8. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Who's actually running a CV or a SYE?

Need some info before I do the wrong/right thing

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

As I said I'm running a CV in the rear w/ slip yoke made by Woods... I like it alot. Jesse's shafts look awsome too, but he wasn't real keen on the idea... obviously it has it's drawbacks, but for how hard I wheel (mostly mud and trails... not much for rocks) I think it fits my needs quite well. I really would love to convert, but still not sure who and how much a tailshaft conversion would be... and wasn't ready to modify my tranny and deal w/ all the downfalls of switching to a 205. I really doubt any die hard wheeler is going to be running a 208 anyhow... Die hard have 14FF's, D60's, 400/205 setups... etc. (well most times they do). If you want the best and strongest go w/ the one ton's from Jess... Heck send a fellow CK5'er the business, but for some of us who use the trucks as daily drivers and don't go to the extremes as much it leaves a good option.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>