Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tom Woods versus HAD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc4cw, Oct 18, 2006.

?

what do you run/recommend

1. Tom woods

17 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. High Angle Driveline

74 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. homemade square tube

13 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. I don't have a front shaft cause I'm a faux wheeler.

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm shopping for a new front driveshaft and want some feed back from anyone who has dealt with either of these companies. I deal with the general public everyday and customer service is important to me. For once I want to be the customer.

I called Tom Woods first, no particular reason. The guy who answered the phone was pleasant and told me his name. He answered all my questions, priced out several options, and brought up some stuff that I had not thought of. Their turn around time seemed incredible. I call with the necessary dimensions and they will build and ship it out the next day. I would get my new shaft in less then a week if it went out ground. The cheapest shaft I can get from them is $299 plus $5 for packaging. 1310 cv with 4.5" of slip. shipping included.

Then I called High Angle Driveline. Never got the guys name. He seemed agitated that I had questions and told me that he usually deals with guys building competition buggy's. The cheapest shaft he would sell me was $595 plus $30 in shipping. 1350 cv with 12" of slip. He flat out refused to build me a shaft with 1310 joints.:dunno: The lead time left something to be desired. I call with the specs they need, then within 8 days it would get built. Depending on what day they completed it, it would go out in less then a week, then however long it takes for UPS to get to me in PA from California. Could be as long as 3 weeks before I get it.

I called Josh back at Tom Woods because the prices were so different. He spec'd out the same shaft HAD was quoting me. Go figure it was slightly less and still 1 day lead time. then he told me it wasn't really 12" of slip. it would have 12" of splines. gotta have something still engaged so its really more like 8-9" of slip. also that a 1310 setup will run at 30 degrees before binding without any trimming, and a 1350 runs at 22 degrees, 26 with grinding.

I am gonna build a square tube to get me through this weekend. I would prefer a real shaft up front and hold onto my square tube as a spare. So what does everyone think? any and all feedback is welcome, even from Avery.:haha:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Jesse at had always seems mroe than happy to help when i call him. great guy. hes a member here too. I think most guys here go HAD. this is definetly the way i would go, and am going to go.

btw... how is it that a 1310 has more angle than a 1350????

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i dont se how that is possible
    i think the cross is the same width, cap to cap, so that might be why

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have a HAD shaft in a full size 79 bronco (wife's ride) it has 4" lift i had a great experience w/ Jesse & got a great product. are u sure u talked to HAD & not a imitator??

1310 shafts are weak & small that is why they didn't want to build it for u. i have never heard that a 1310 would out flex a 1350 the cross & caps are larger on the 1350

5. gmc4cw

yes I talked to HAD. I went to thier website to get the phone number. When I called they answered the phone "High Angle Drivline".

apparently the 1310 out flex's the 1350 because the 1350 is bigger.

I am not breaking stock driveshafts now. 1310's are stronger then what came stock. I bent my current shaft when I hopped the front end on a rock. I am going to clock the T-case and put 52's up front, so nows the time to get a shaft made.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

When i got mine last year, I called both, Both were happy and willing to talk to me on the phone, but Jesse seemed more knowledgable of what I was wanting/doing.

Mike

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

1310 are what came stock...

ok looked up the u joint chart... 1350's have a bigger cap size but the cross is only slightly bigger so the angle is not great. thats the thing about a 1410, same size as a 1350, just a much bigger cross for more angle.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

HAD supports CK5. drivelineman (Jesse) and KidJethro are both associated with HAD, both very knowledgable guys.

with the service i've seen first hand from HAD, i dont see any reason to even consider Tom Woods.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Pretty sure KidJethro is no longer associated. Jesse owns the joint, IIRC :)

-- A

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thats what i headr about joe too.

Jesse has really come through for me. I was on the phone with him one day for 30 min while he searched for a 14 bolt yoke for me... he dropped everything just to find one. When he couldnt, he pointed me in the direction of someone who could...Hes definetly got my vote:D

11. gmc4cw

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run a HAD CV shaft in the rear and am very happy with it 4 years later. Jesse was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. I talked to Jesse on numerous occasions before even ordering my shaft and he was pleasant and more than willing to help me.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jesse owns HAD and Joe (Kidjethro) no longer works for Jesse.

14. Jackedup86GMC

Jackedup86GMC Registered Member

I actually called HAD today and ordered 1410 yokes for both my D60 and 14FF. I think it was Jesse that I spoke with, he was very knowledgable and answered my questions with no problem. I will definitely order my driveshafts from them, once I get everything put back together and can get the measurements for them.

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I originally went with someone local when I lifted my truck , since I DD and needed it sooner . I am carpooling with my wife now , and wanted to give Jesse my business and order the parts I need to repair my CV .

Jesse returned my call when I left the message , he was very pleasant to talk to , more than happy to help me . However he does not carry any CV parts for s44/3r .

So HAD gets a A+ for customer skills , and a :doah: for not carrying my size :thumb:

16. gmc4cw

Is it possible I did not talk to Jessie? Maybe I got the janitor. This is why I always give my name and try and get a name. that way when I call back I am assured that I'm talking to the same person.

17. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I think both shops are A+, but Tom Woods is more wide spread among the different brands where HAD specializes more with higher HP and guys like us. I bought a rear shaft from HAD, after talking to Jesse directly. He was very helpful and got me the right driveline.

That said, Tom Woods sponsors many 4x4 events, gives away many things (jackets, gift certificates) at events and supports the sport through the national clubs as well.

Both are worthy shops, in my opinion.

My friend just broke a HAD shaft. The shaft broke at the yoke. The weld holding the yoke to the shaft failed. Nothing else was wrong...no broken joints, or failed tubing. I suspect they'll take care of it. But, I'll see how they handle it.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had a problem with HAD. I have their shafts front and rear. Great products and they know what they are doing. They also support CK5.

If you are really worried about the $, I'd just find a local shop. Tell them what you want and see what they can do for you. Shipping isn't cheap these days... and a heavy duty shaft is a heavy mo-fo. I bet if you brought in a quote from Woods or HAD the local guys could beat it (total $).

j

19. gmc4cw

I'm not worried about the price. The old saying goes "you get what you pay for." I would rather pay more for the right stuff. I just want to make sure the extra price is justified. My local shop does a nice job.

20. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You'll get a good shaft from either.