Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tomarro will be my first time pulling a motor, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Tomarro will be my first time pulling a motor, any suggestions? It is out of a '86 K5, with TH700R4 Trans, and AC

LooksBack

2. take pics so you can see were every thing should go back, lable all vac lines and elec conections so agin you know were they all go, sort all bolt's into labled bags and have fun.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Yeah get soem sleep tonight...
    And buy beer in the morning before you start...
    LOL

What he said...

it has all that air crap... if your putting it back on.. take pictures.. lots of pictures.... you may think you can remember how it goes.. but you cant trust me... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

here's pics of my 86 when it was stock...hope it helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

yeah, those photographs will help, when putting the new motor back in, I want to keep all the emmisions devices with the new motor.

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Emissions...eeewwwww.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a ground strap off the back of the passengerside head to the fire wall that you can't see. 9/16 wrench to get it loose from the head. I have seen a few with it bolted to an exhaust manifold bolt but not sure if that happend sometime after it was built.
    The engine is installed as a unit. If you pay attention you can pretty well remove it that way with all the harnesses on it .
    Mark everything you take loose. Lots of Emissions BS on that year model. A easy way to do things is the electrical harness can be unplugged from the fire wall. Take the bolt out of the center of the big junction block on the fire wall and you can unplug everything in one shot. You will proably have to undo one more wire on the junction block at the top of the fire wall but it lets you get the engine out and on a stand where it's easier to mess with the harness. All the vac lines will be about the same way. There will be a big plug on the canister to take loose all the vac lines in one shot and then take loose the vac line going to heat and A/C controls (should be on a T infront of the distributor on the intake), and brake booster. un plug the distributor form the harness for the knock contol and other than fuel lines it should be pretty well free. You can unbolt the A/C compressor from the brackets and take a peice of coat hanger to hold it on a inner fender. That way if your A/C works and has a charge you don't have to open the lines. Same deal with the power steering pump.

8. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Thats what I am worried about is all the vacuum lines, thay are everyware, I due have another Blazer of the same year, that is my own, I have a '86 K5, with the same motor, and everything under the hood is stock.

LooksBack

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well boy howdy, i tell you what, id keep the emmissions crap on there if i was doing this, them damn bastards piss me off, all that crap i have to have on my truck catalitic converter oooooo, and the god damn vacuum hoses that lead to the EGR valve OOOOO. but hey what u gunna do, you need that stuff. good luck on the swap, and those pictures, damn, i thouht my TBI on my 87 looked complicated, damn you got all those wires around that carubrator /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, looks like a nightmare, but then again so does a TBI. anywhoo good luck, and happy pull'n, and stay warm in this cold ass weather /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go slowly, Wires have a way of hiding. It's easier to find them when jacking up a motor slowly, then it is to find them later and splice them back together.

11. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well today I started to pull the motor, and did a good job with all the lines and hose's, I labeled them with white tape and removed them, gott the exaust and everything else removed, then came my problem that took me about 5 hours, that was tring to seperate the transmission from the motor and I am still not done. There are bolts from motor to the trans thay I can not gett lose because the space is to small for my hands and also not large enoght to be able to turn a wrench, how can I remove these bolts?

LooksBack

12. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

It sounds kinda funny but I've got a 30" extension that makes quick work out of those top two bell housing bolts. I found that a bit easier than trying to stab a swivel on them.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The ol 2 person thing works for me. One person below with the ratchet long extention, and swivel, the other up top to guide the socket on the bolt.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just take the transmission cover off and use a 6 inch extension. Nice advantage to the older trucks like my 75 and 79.

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Oh man.. what a slew of smog stuff - makes you really like the older trucks

Comparison:
    [​IMG]

16. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

now thats cool, "Does that motor have all the emmissions removed?" I have a '74 Custom C20, and it has a 292ci, and there are not emmissions stuff on it, the only vac lines is for the distrubeur, the ECGR "on valve cover" and the brake booster, there is not even a canister "What that was from factory" if I can figure out how to post photos I will put a photo of under it hood.

LooksBack

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I have a Canadian Federal transplant into california so I have no EGR, no air pump, no cats and true dual exhaust.. legally! Vacuum advance is the only vac line - running hydraboost so no vacuum booster either. I do have a choke stove into the manifild.. does that count? Hahaha

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I went out and bought a massive extension for this. It'll probably set you back $20 or so, but you'll end up using it a lot in the future I'm sure...

Don't forget the torque convertor to flywheel bolts either (you may have already gotten them, I just figured it wouldn't hurt to mention)!

19. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well did ya do it yet? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well to day I gott it done finally, the hardest part was removing the bolts from the transmission and the motor, I think I did good "but it took me 3 days to do" gott all the wires labeled, and the hose marked out, but I do not have to put the new motor in until january, but I think it will be ok "Except the transmission bolts".

LooksBack