Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tomichi Pass**UPDATE**Pics

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Jun 29, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Found this trail in the Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, but it is not on 4x4Trails.net.

My sister thinks maybe it is closed.

Does anyone know?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Tomichi Pass

I haven't been over that pass in a few years, but it's an awesome trail for great scenery! It tops out pretty high, and there was still snow in the area around the first of August the year I was up there, so it may be blocked way up top. But it was a pretty light snow year, so it's possible the trail is fully open. You might want to ask over at www.colorado4x4.org There are a lot of locals hanging out in there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

I haven't been over Tomichi for a couple of years. It isn't a difficult trail, but there are two areas that you have to pay attention on about half way up and right near the top. These two spots tend to wash out across the road during spring run off. It can put you up off camber and get tippy. I know of a couple of trucks that have gone off the side because of these areas. There is still a Toyota FJ and an older Jeep near the top of the pass that rolled off many years ago. Near the bottom is supposed to be another truck, I believe a Ford Bronco, but I've never seen it. All of the trucks have been well stripped over the years. Not much left but bare tubs. If you take your time and walk out any suspected areas you should be OK.

4. mrk5

Thanks for the replies.

We are going to try it this weekend. I was afraid it had been closed permanently. Checked it out over at Colorado4x4 and it hasn't been. Nobody responded as to whether or not it was closed due to snow yet. Sounds like the snow lasts a while on that pass.

5. mrk5

Well it was open. Pretty narrow in some places, but that was the only challenge. Started down one of the side loops first, now that was scary narrow. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif We had to turn back, my passengers were going to soil the seats. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifAlso went on over Hancock.

[​IMG]
    The summit of Tomichi.

[​IMG]
    Cool bridge crossing. I was a little washed out on the driver's side.

[​IMG]
    Some jeep that crossed after us, but I included it because it was a good shot of the bridge.