Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tomorrow is my LAST CHANCE at making her run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

That's right guys, if I don't get her running tomorrow, I won't get to enter that mud bog I've been talking so much about... My cousin is driving down 3 or 4 hours to come to the bog with me.. I'm gonna have all day to work on it.

Here's what I've deduced about the engine....
    • It has good compression numbers, all between 130 and 150
    • It fouls out all the plugs and shoots out black smoke... very rich
    • It stumbles and misses
    • It is not timing
    • Its not a vaccume leak
    • It has had a q jet and now my edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb
    I've narrowed it down to three posibilites

1. Timing chain is stretched/ worn, causing improper cam timing, and unburned fuel
    2. The carb has something sticking inside that is severly flooding the motor
    3. The carb is tuned really badly (it ran like a bat out of hadies a year ago on my 283)
    Since all of the cylinders are fouling, I think these are the most logical possiblities... So any ideas on how to tune the carb, or fix the carb would make you my HERO forever!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna try to check for chain wear by seeing how many degrees I can turn my motor over untill the dizzy rotor turns...

I know my posts about this thing have been annoying, but I want to go wheeling this weekend soooooooo badly... Any more ideas before my big day tomrrow of randomly wrenching would be the coolest :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
    Infinite thanks,
    James

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

so why are you here instead of wrenching?

3. 78Suburban

Its midnight, I've never taken an ebrock apart, I don't know what I'm doing, and the neighbors seem to hate my straight pipes in the early AM hours :o
    thanks,
    James

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Honesty man, the other thread was jam packed full of everything you need,all the good information is in there.:ooo: Id say given the budget you are on, your classes,,,or what not,,,park it if need be, and get something else for now, park this one if you cant figure it out, and get a DD. Either that or try and get another cool member from ck5 who knows what he is doing, help you out. Youd be suprized how many times ive been up the creek with my truck, and these guys are cool man, im sure you could find someone in around 10 minutes :D . One member even gave me HIS radiator out of his own truck, so i could get home. It was hot still and everything.:D Just wait, youll see.

CAN ANYONE HELP THIS GUY FOR 15 MINUTES????? :haha:

THERE, i did the hard part for you. :haha: :whistle: :whistle: :waytogo:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lucky for you , you can easily pop the top off the Edelbrock and check it out for foreign matter and float level etc . Its a simple carb , One gasket on top below fuel level .

6. 78Suburban

If I can get my hands on one of those gakets, I will be SOOOOO happy.. anybody know a napa part number, or other parts store chain part number that would be that top airhorn gasket?
    If not, I guess I'll just douse it with carb cleaner and work the linkages, and if that doesn't work, just throw in the towel and not run in the bog this weekend.
    thanks,
    James

EDIT: maybe some mechanic in a bottle carb cleaning fuel additive :thinking: LOL... anybody got any miracle stories with that stuff? I kinda doubt it....

7. 78Suburban

One more thought, could anything besides the carb be causing this flooding? since two carbs have done it... maybe something before the carb in the fuel system?
    thanks,
    James

8. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

what are you doing for fuel? mechanical pump or electric. ? could you put a regulator on it and turn the pressure down and see what she is doing?

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Just out of curiosity, what is it timed at/ are you certain the firing order is right? Do you still have your old fuel pump? i suppose it may be possable that one is putting out too much pressure and unseating the needle from the seat... And any/every parts store usually just has those gaskets hangin out on the wall with the perfromance related stuff. And your sure for sure it has no vacume leak? Do you have a vacume gauge to put on it? Also the guy you bought the motor from said it ran good right? i only ask becasue that morethan likely would get rid of the timing chain issue. And as far as that goes i think new ones run about 17 bucks. we thats all i can think of.

10. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

The gasket should stay in one peice when you remove it, mine dide, others who have the carb hopefully will post up. I doubt the carb is tuned THAT bad. Have you tried taking the handle of a hammer and tapping the sides ofe the carb or where ever you can. This'll dislodge the float bowls if they're stuck.

I had a simliar problem with my truck. First the plugs were fouled, replaced them and still nothing. Then i took the top of the carb off, filled with the nastiest green goop, like snot inside of it. My tank was filled with crap and water. i had to clean the carb and gas tank and now hopefully this weekend it'll run. Been about 5months since it ran. O yeah, the real reason it would not run was because the valves on the 1&2 cylinders were locked up, got some water in the oil that one time i went offroading and i think they rusted to the guides. Havnt torn her down yet.

For carb tuning, screw the idle screws on the front all the way and back them out 2turns and go from there. Do you have good vacuum? Do you have fuel going to the cylinders? In my experience, once the plugs are fouled theyr're junk, just buy another set, you'll have extras if it doesnt fix it. Starting fluid helps. There is a chance that your still of by a tooth.

Good Luck!

11. 78Suburban

I've almost certainly narrowed it down the the carb, or something fuel system related... I guess I need to get ahold of some of those gakets and try to tear her apart.. I've never had an e brock apart before... maybe I can get it cleaned up and running.. I'll just tinker tomrrow and see... maybe some carb cleaner will do the trick... that would be a miracle :bow:
    thanks,
    James

12. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Its only like 6bolts and some linkage, real simple. Just dive in.

13. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

check the fuel pressure is under 6lbs. Also, its great to check your carb for debris, but how did it get there. Do you have a fuel filter anywhere? I fought my carb for a month because I was an idiot and just assumed there was a fuel filter back near the tank like the last 3 or 4 vehicles I've owned. clean out the holley, run like a raped ape for 10-15 minutes, then it was screwed again.

If the float or needle sticks, the bowls flood and just pour fuel down the carb, does exactly as described. Overly high fuel pressure does the exact same thing.

14. 78Suburban

Can the fload or needle be reused, or must they be replaced?
    thanks,
    James

15. 78Suburban

My mom had to run to town anyway, and she's gonna pick up an EDL-1477 from Advanced for me. I guess that rebuild kit will have everything I need... Any tips on to rebuild it?, like I said, I've never had a carb apart.
    thanks,
    James

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

lay everything out nice and neat in like an assembly order on the bench, clean and inspect as you take apart. Then reassemble. Biggest thing about doing a carb is taking your time.

17. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Use a vacuum gauge on the carb. Lean 'er out til you get max vacuum. If it stumbles fatten er up jast a tad.

Or lean er out til you get max RPM if you dont have access to vacuum gauge. But every time you lean it and RPM goes up, lower RPM back down.

Oh and Edelbrock carbs are one of the simpler to tear down and put back together. You'll be fine as long as you dont rush.
    They just suck out on the trail unless you have the offroad kit. Good Luck :waytogo:

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So did it work?:thumb:

19. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Come on James, what is the verdict? It has been over 24 hours, the suspense is killing me!

20. 78Suburban

Hey guys, its greg, the cousin taht drove down 4 hours. Forgive me if I'm half retarted on the engine terms, alot more into car audio. But...

We adjusted the timing back to 7 to compensate for the fact it might be set up for high octane. Then we cleaned up the plugs and changed the oil. Its still not running ot the level that James wants it to but I though it ran pretty damn well. Might see about changing the plug wires, he reached down and then a min later was jumpin around screamin like you wouldnet believe. Ha ha. but yea wish us luck, its on the trailer and were gonna take her down and see how she does.

-greg