Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tongue weights??

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by southernspeed, Sep 11, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The receiver hitch on my '91 V10/1500 says max tongue weight 200lbs dead weight or 700lbs 'load distribution' what ever that is??
    I want to fit a bike rack into the reciever to take my enduro bike but the bike and rack are going to weigh closer to 300lbs all up.
    Is the tow hitch up to it? Why do they state 200 and 700lbs on there?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thats a what? class 2? Most class three hitches start at 500 tongue I think. I think you'll be " ok, " if your at 300 lbs- Effectively, a load distibution is just trying to push the weight of the trailer in line with the rest of your truck. To be safer, you might consider at least adding a class 3/4 hitch which will give you an extra margin.

BTW, why not just put it in your pickup bed?

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a pain to take the top off and this IS England!! If we get a day of sunshine with no rain it's fantastic...if we get 2 or 3 together it's a miracle!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I missed that part!!! the whole "southern speed" got me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif