Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tonneau Cover? Need info...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoAngel, Mar 13, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Looking to get the roll-up kind for Leadfoot's truck(birthday shh... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Any recommendations on what company to get them from? Looking to get the best bang for my buck.
    Are there any disadvantages to having a roll-up tonneau cover or any "what not to do" stories?

Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You want us to be quite about it and you posted it here? LOL.
    THis for a truck or a K5?
    K5 only STC and Best top make them.
    Trucks you can get all over the place and there is a BUNCH of styles. The cheapies you have to unsnap to get anything in. there are some that even though they are Canvas they are hinged and lift up like a fiberglass (nice). There are some that are like a garage door and are metal...they roll up and some are even power but they are big bucks.
    One thing these do do is make tha air flow over the truck better and improve MPG.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shhhhhh /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Requirements:

NO SNAPS and Hook and loop fastener ONLY (In the cold climate in N.E. snaps don't work and neither do the "zip-lock" style. I have the snaps on the 78 and if you open the cover in the cold, forget about closing it, same with my buddy's 2000 with "zip-lock" style. Above 40 degrees they are fine, but we see below temps for several MONTHS of the year.
    Soft Canvas
    Have a built in tool box (i.e. truxedo plus @ www.truxedo.com) or be compatible with tool box.

The reason I am leaning toward the truxedo plus is even though it is some $$ it comes with a locking tool box and it is unobtrusive (below the rail and doesn't advertise the fact that you have "stowed" gear). MY 78 (with regular toolbox) has been broken into /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.
    I figure by the time I buy a tool box, get the "right kind of cover" and have it modified to fit with the toolbox, that is some big $$$

The truxedo plus has everything, made to fit, and is warranteed for LIFE. For the money sunk into this rig, it is going to be a keeper.

and that is my unbiased /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif opinion! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I had a roll-up cover on a s-10 a couple of years ago. SOrry, don't remember the brand,but it was a top-end product, not a cheapo.

I probaly wouldn't go with it again.

1)the box that the cover rolled up into takes up about 8" of the front of the bed, usually just enough that whatever I was hauling would have fit in if the box hadn't been there

2)the rubber weatherstrip was easily damaged if you loaded anyhing in the bed that was the same height as the edge of the cover.

it did look good though

I also had an electric lock installed on the tailgate latch so you couldn't let the tailgate down with the cover locked unless I hit the switch

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You want us to be quite about it and you posted it here? LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

He already knew, I was being sarcastic. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a roll-up cover on a s-10 a couple of years ago. SOrry, don't remember the brand,but it was a top-end product, not a cheapo.

I probaly wouldn't go with it again.

1)the box that the cover rolled up into takes up about 8" of the front of the bed, usually just enough that whatever I was hauling would have fit in if the box hadn't been there

2)the rubber weatherstrip was easily damaged if you loaded anyhing in the bed that was the same height as the edge of the cover.

it did look good though

I also had an electric lock installed on the tailgate latch so you couldn't let the tailgate down with the cover locked unless I hit the switch

[/ QUOTE ]

I remembered that the one I had was made by Pace-Edwards

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up! I have seen those covers before. Nice concept, but the $$$ and the construction had a lot to be desired (at least for me).