Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tonneau cover soft top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by emoo99, Feb 13, 2005.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

anyone have one of these? how long have you had it for? any problems? I'm in the thinking process of buying something and it's between a RWS Magnum 350 air rifle with a scope,, or a Soft top for the Rig. I have about $350 to spend and if i get a soft top i want a good one that doesn't leak and is easy to take off.. got any pics of the "pickup" look soft top?

2. kobryna

kobryna Newbie

Sportmasters

I bought my first tonneau for a S-10 from Sportmasters and it was great. I bought another for my K10 and it is just as good. The biggest thing you will find with other brands is that youll have to add and remove little spacers to keep the vinyl tight in the summer and not shrink and tear in the winter. The sportmasters tonneau doesnt need that. I'd never buy anything else.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I've got one from FastTrac. Here are somepics from this summer... It leaks in heavy rain if you don't park it on a hill. I never put my tensioners in though, b/c that would mean no easy rear seat access. Things comes off in two seconds flat, takes about five to put on if i'm by myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

B_to_C can you post up close up pics of the snaps and where it leaks,, where do the tensioners go?

5. B_to_C

Sorry, those are the best pics i've got, I never thought to take close up pics of it when I had it on....I was having too much fun to take pics I think ;) . If you wait like 4 months...well then I can get some more haha. It leaks at the corners between the cab and tanneau part. There is a zipper with a flap over it, but the zipper doesn't go all the way to the edges of the truck, so there is a hole on each side where water can just roll into the cab. The tensioners are bars (3) that span the truck horizontally to keep the top very tight and they are shaped like a shallow arched upside down u...so water will just roll off the sides of the truck instead of pooling on the top like mine does (unless I park it facing uphill so the water rolls off the back)...man it's really late I dunno if this makes sense, but i will check it tomorrow to clarify if i need to...:crazy: Oh and the snapping system is good, it is easy to get on and off and I've only had it half pop-off on the highway once. It is basically a long c-channel that you bolt to the top of your bedsides and there's plastic sewn into the top the locks into the channel. I've run with this thing for two summers.

6. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info.. so you don't keep it on in the winter.. i think once i go soft top i'm loosing my hard top for good...

7. B_to_C

Yea, no way I could keep it on in the winter..I used ito live in mass, and now in CO, with sometimes feet of snow and no garage, a hard top is the only option for winter :xmas: