Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tons of pics, hehehe, of a welded GovLoc 14bolt.... updated bottom

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 29, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

update...
    I have it welded, I fubar'd a couple things I should be able to fix with a die grinder (welded over the top of the side gears to far but since they wont be spinning I'm going to grind them back down).
    I'll have pics later.. wont know if it runs right for a while since I'm still in the frame building section...
    (NEW pics down further)

Just like the title says, I pulled my 14bolt part and found this.
    [​IMG]

It has rebuildable clutches in it so I was thinking eaton, but then I seen the little swing arm over on the side and figured it was a gov loc. So which is it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Furthermore, is it ok to run a gov lock in a 14bolt? Do they blow up like the 10/12bolt axles? I've blew up several in 10's and 12's then I switched to using an auburn and no problems since. Auburn doesn't (or any other aftermarket companies for that matter) make a LSD for a 14boltFF other than the eatons right? Should I keep the gov loc and toss it in the DD with 35's or run it in the project rig with 38's? OR should I just weld it all together and toss it in the rig?
    I noticed this has a block between the spiders... what if I tacked all the spiders together, dropped that block in and welded all the spiders to it?

Lots of questions looking for lots of opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: (PICS) is this a gov loc or an eaton? Can you weld a govloc or leave it

that would be a gov lock.

i like the gov lock in my truck, actually i like the traction i get from the gov lock. ive heard or people welding it but never heard anything after it, so im guessing they hold up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, that's a Gov Loc. See that gear with tiny teeth, just above the upper side gear? That's what makes it work. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When the speeds between the two side gears vary by about 100 RPM, the spinning weights that are driven off of that gear engage the clutches. The side loads placed on the carrier can be pretty huge when the clutches engage, especially when the tires are spun up under full throttle. But the 14-bolt carrier is built a LOT beefier than the ones found in 10 and 12 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: (PICS) is this a gov loc or an eaton? Can you weld a govloc or leave i

Eaton makes the gov-lock, so thats what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. jjlaughner

the locking block has a spring on the bottom of it, how does it go back in (the spring location) if I just put it back together without welding it?

6. HarryH3

The spring installs so that it holds the block in towards the round part, on the opposite shaft. One end of the spring sorta goes around the backside of the block, while the other end rests on the opposite shaft. That spring and block are what cause a Gov-Loc to never lock at speeds above 20 MPH or so. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif As speed increases, the block pulls against the spring and moves away from the spinning weights on the opposite shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When I welded the last one, I removed all the unnecessary crap, put the clutches back in it, and welded it up solid.

I wouldn't even bother putting it back in without welding it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I just found one of these gems in my new 14ff
    I wont even feel guilty about welding the side gears directly to the carrier on it
    wonder if my brother would notice me swapping his open dif into my truck

9. jjlaughner

I wondered about that since there are only three side gears...
    I have access to an open, I was planning on welding it, I might just try welding the gov loc and if it turns out crappy or my little welder doesn't burn in I'll use the open. (I have to go pickup another $10 ebay 14bolt Friday /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    a Gov-Loc to never lock at speeds above 20 MPH or so. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so if I was to hit a mud puddle running I'd only have 1 drive wheel in the back if I'm spinning my tires? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    a Gov-Loc to never lock at speeds above 20 MPH or so. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so if I was to hit a mud puddle running I'd only have 1 drive wheel in the back if I'm spinning my tires? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not exactly. It would act like an open diff then. If there's equal traction (or lack thereof) on both sides, then both tires will still pull. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If it's locked in before reaching 20 MPH, it should stay locked. But as soon as you let off the loud pedal, it would unlock.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

exactly
    engineering parts that you do not need or want

13. jjlaughner

so how many 14bolt govloc have you heard about blowing up?

14. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

2 I have seen.

One in moab with 35's. He was trying to make it lock up by bliping the throtel while 1 wheel was spinning slowly. The truck hopped and crack there it went.

The other was on a stock 454 31" tired truck, power breaking on pavement.

15. jjlaughner

Re: (PICS) gov loc? Can you weld a govloc or leave it... update welded

MORE PICS

Tacked
    [​IMG]

Pulled it out and tacked it a few more places, then welded the CRAP out of it
    [​IMG]

AND, I DID.... weld it with my 85amp mig /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think it burnt in alright
    [​IMG]

All the holes filled in, any gears that was within 1/2" of another gear got totally welded togehter!
    [​IMG]

I'm going to use the grinder and cleanup a couple spots where I welded to far over the side gears, then I'm going to wire brush it (with the drill to knock off the little balls) and clean it in the parts washer. Then I'll slip it back into the housing and weld the side gears to the housing also. Slap on the 5.13's and get a new pinion bearing pressed on and toss it under the frame for more mockups! No more GOV LOC!

One step closer!

16. jjlaughner

After I welded it I dunked it in oil also /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I heard that helps harden heated metal /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    (thats why the last pic looks wet)

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of doing the same thing, never seen any pics of the 14bff gov-lok like those before /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am guessing overall the gov-lok must be weaker than an open diff given that it only has 3 side gears instead of 4 as well as being more compact in order to fit the clutches and other junk /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

85amp mig hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Seems like penetration wouldn't be so great, but the way you welded the [darn] out of it should make up for it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. jjlaughner

MORE PICS /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Edges ground down, cleaned up, brushed, debured and installed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't go ahead and weld the side gears to the hosuing, figured it wouldn't make much difference and then I couldn't take it apart if needed. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

yer not worried about that coming apart?? I think it needs more weld /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifjust to be safe ya know /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. think_07

think_07 Registered Member

How did this hold up for you?