Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too Heavy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by along4, Jul 9, 2002.

1. along4

along4 Registered Member

I have a 91 K5, and it has a TH350/NP203. The tranny is shot, so I am trying to get it out. I am doing it myself and do not want to kill myself. My jack is not nearly high enough. Any ideas? I was thinking about some ropes or something like that. I'd appreciate any input. By the way, I am in the dirt with huge ants crawling around my head.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rent a tranny jack...no repair is worth injuring or killing yourself over.

I'm guessing someone swapped the TH350/NP203 into that truck...91's came with the 700R-4 and 241 T-case.

Rene

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Oyyyy. Tranny drained with the converter off is only about 70lb. Converter with fluid is probably around 25lb.
    The 203 case.......Ohhh about 175-200lb. Don't drop that sucker on your head or any part of you that you would like to keep. I highly recomend you don't even try to pull that booger without some sort of jack.
    I made a jig/cradle for my 203 out of some 3/4 inch ply wood and chunks of lumber. It bolts on to my jack. Did the same for the TH350.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I just pulled this setup from my '73 blazer.

I used two flor jacks, and two sets of 2x4 arranged and nailed together to support the 203 and 350 as needed.

This is VERY difficult doing this alone. I will be trying to put this setup back up another truck this weekend... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Good luck.

5. along4

along4 Registered Member

I finally broke down and rented a jack. The platform is too small though. I would like to make something out of wood, but I never get my tools back from people. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can rent a cherry picker and drop it in the passenger door through the tcase shifter hole, its easier than a tranny jack on lifted trucks. A chain around the middle at the tranny/tcase adpater is about perfectly balanced with the torque converter full of fluid. Start with the cherry picker at the mirror for lowering, at the tcase hole for reinstalling. Emptying the torque conveter after pulling makes afor an easier install as well because the tranny angles up a little. I've had to pull my th350/np203 combo by myself quite a few times this last year.