Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too high a price??? 1800 bucks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Mar 20, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

They guy's at the local axle shop want 1800 to 2000 to swap my 3.73's to 4.11's... in a 12 bolt/d44 setup... is this a little steep...
    I donno about this price...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

A few years ago I was quoted 1500 to do both axles at the Chevy dealer, but then again they are always on the high side.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm with Derf. The going rate around here is $200 per axle on labor. Then add the cost of your parts.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I've got quoted $500 per axle (parts & labor). New seals and berings brought the total quote to about $1200. I've decided to go with 3/4 ton axles w/ 4.10's... found a set for $500. Its cheaper and stronger... just my $.02.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you are getting screwed 4 that price

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

All vaseline jokes aside, you can buy a 14BFF with a Detroit Locker and most of a Dana 60 for that freaking price!

Ouch................

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That price is retarded. I ended up spending that much on my axle work, but I also got Warn hubs, Moser shafts for the rear, a $450 LSD, T/A perf. diff cover, ARP stud kit and a bunch of other crap. Just for a straight up ring and pinion swap, that is way too much.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

If you take the time and pay attention to what you are doing you can save a lot of money doing it yourself. It is not that hard?

10. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

I did it myself with no experience. It was the only part of my truck that I WASN'T sure about fixing. But I did it myself anyhow, and I took my time, followed instructions, and made sure my measurements were correct and everything was torqued right. It was actually very easy. I had a buddy who knows what he's doing check my work and he said it was as exact as he would have made it. and trust me, you will be saved that reaming they want to give you!

I like my trucks BIG, my women HOT, and my Budweiser COLD!

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When my rear end blew. I bought my own gears and install kit and had a mechanic put it in. I ended paying $170 for 3.42 Richmond gears for a 10 bolt. I bought the summit install kit, like $80 I think. And the mechanic put them in for $125. And he did an excellent job. So I had my rear end redone for right at $400 after tax and S&H and stuff. So to me that sounds REAL STEEP!!

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's pretty steep for just a gear change. Around here, the shops who do gears charge around $150-$200 and axle for labor. New ring and pinions, bearings, and setup parts can be had for $200-$300 tops. Basically, it shouldn't cost anymore than $500 per axle.

13. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree with everyone else, that's a bit too high. A few months ago I had my rear axle totally rebuilt with new seals and bearings, and I think it cost me about 400 bucks. This was just a 10 bolt, but I wouldn't pay more than 400 to have new gears put in. While they've got it tore apart, I'd have them press new bearings and put new seals in to, theres nothing like driving around listening to a worn out pinion bearing ;)

14. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i've got 3.73's and blew the rear-end i paid 500 sumthin to get it rebuilt did i get ripped off?

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I would like to do this myself.. I even checked into what was needed.. but I dont know how to do the backlashing and all the fancy measurements... SO I will pass this job to someone else.... I hate paying someone else to do stuff to my truck...
    I HATE IT!!!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I know what you mean about doing things yourself. Setting up a diff is pretty much the only thing I will farm out (unless I just don't have the time).

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.