Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too Hot + Bad Cat? any more input out there?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Sep 5, 2000.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

In the past I asked about a 2 different problems, one was high temps with the ac on, the other was a smell like sulffer. The new questions is are the two the same? Last weekend i was driving at highway speeds in 109 outdoor temps. I was heading to the lake and did not want to run the AC, I like the sound and fell of wind. Ever time I would have to got on the gas, beacuse of hill for 75 mph speed limit, I would see the temp rise and the bad smell come out. Then when I would get to a town and have to stop and go stop and go, or i would get behind a ford tring to tow a 16 ft bass boat, the temp would drop and the smell would leave. At one point i had to drop my truck out of OD to D and was driving up a hill at 60 and the tepm was below 210. The point of this story is, Is a bat Cat causing back pressure, not alowing good flow and causing my heat to rise?

Thanks for all the GREAT INPUT ON THIS AND ALL MY OTHER stupid questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Cox

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Too Hot + Bad Cat?

Don't really have an answer, but I will tell you that mine does the same thing. When I get on the gas, especially going up hills, I get a smell that will stink you SMOOTH out of the truck. I've never noticed a change in my temp before, but I DEFF. get the smell. If you think you're cat is bad, a muffler shop can help you out. One thing they'll check for is get the truck up to Oper. Temp. then crawl underneath while it's running. If you're cat is discolored at any point, that will indicate a plug. The exhaust gases are gathering in one point and will heat it up. Also, have them knock a hole in the pipe where the two from the manifolds meet. Then take the truck out driving and run it up some steap hills where you got to lay in the gas. No smell and no temp probs, means the cat may be plugged. It doesn't take but a minute for them to bust the whole and then weld it back up, and most shops won't charge for this. Well, at least the shop here in town doesn't charge. If you want to drive a little, head down here to Tulsa, I can hook you up with a GOOD shop that'll take care of you and WON'T screw you.

HTH

Kyle
    89K5

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Too Hot + Bad Cat?

I was working on a sprint ([​IMG] friend of my wifes [​IMG]) It also had no power, OK way less than usual. It also smelled real bad (looked real bad,etc.[​IMG]) I checked a bunch of stuff like plugs etc and still could'nt get it to run right. Then I noticed an exhaust leak at the donut that sounded real weird. I disconnected the exhaust completely (the neighbors loved me) and took it for a drive, lo and behold the power was back to where it should be. We had a shop replace the cat and no problem. (well other than being a Sprint [​IMG])

[​IMG]

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

5. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

The sulfur smell some times can be traced back to running to rich. Check to make sure that you are not running to rich by checking the voltage on your TPS. I had the same problem as yourself. Changed the cat and muffler and was still getting the sulfur smell. Ended up I was running to rich. Does the check engine light ever come on and then go off when gettin on it up hill?

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

the light has not ever came on... and thanks

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If you still have the stock cat I would change to a high performance cat. Truck has to have more than 50,000 to change the cat. I would say it's your cat going bad.

8. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I think you have a couple things going on,
    1st your O2 sensor may be bad, which will make your TBI run rich and then it would cause the Cat to clog up.(this is would account for the smell and some of the temp)
    Replace the cat and the O2 sensor at the same time.

Or you just have a cooling system problem, because running rich when going up and down mointains and getting that smell is normal

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

blazer never gets hot in city driving ever when it was over 100 here in KC, with all the stopping and going in rush hour traffic