Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too hot or not?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Jun 21, 2004.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I put a used crate 350 into my 82 blazer. According to my guage it is running at about 210 degrees. Is that too hot? when i turn it off i can hear the water moving around and simmering in the radiator. Should i put in a new thermostat or what? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I would first verify the temp with a more accurate gauge...The stock gauges can have significant variances in ther reading, esp. when they get older. For a Carbed truck, 210* is a bit warm IMHO. I would first put in a new 180* stat and see what it does. Then I would trouble shoot from there. water pump, radiator, etc...

Chris

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

in arizona, I am running a 454/t-400 set up, I drive real hard, temp gauge stays at 195-200 all day, if stuck in traffic I see 210 untill I get moving.

On the crazy not, I only have a new 3 core radiator, and a ford taurous electric fan, I am also not using the mecanical fan.

the ford fan does a great job!

I will swap in a four core, or yank the big block if it gets too crazy on the trail though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't see 210 with my A/C on in AZ , at idle . I recommend also verifying the gauge with another. If its accurate , get a cooler thermostat and a larger radiator, like for towing/a/c applications. New fan clutch if old , as preventative maintainence . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I see 210 all the time, but i know for a fact that my radiator is bad, actually, i only see those tmps andx higher with the AC blowin, but yes, it is too warm being that they can very easily run alot cooler, with a carb'd engine, i would run a 180 t-stat and as mentioned, check the fan clutch and radiator condition (it may need cleaned out or replaced)

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Colder thermostats do nothing for you if the cooling system can't even maintain a higher temp.

At best, the engine will run colder while moving, and when you come to a stop, it will take a few seconds to get to whatever temperature the engine "equalizes" at.

Verify guage temp first, then troubleshoot.

I'm of the opinion that a good radiator (read: new or VERIFIED clean) is the "only" solution to cooling problems. Efficient fans are important too, but if the radiator is plugged up, 10,000CFM fans won't solve the problem.

A "performance" water pump (more teeth on the impeller, larger impeller, impeller with the plate riveted to it) may help, but from the factory, these trucks would run as GM designed, in every climate in the US, without "high performance" parts. They just happened to be in good shape.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you can here the coolant boiling than it is too hot! Get yourself mechanical guage for $19 at Napa, 180 stat and see what it does. How old is the radiator? It might need to be replaced. Does it always run 210? Just while idling? On the highway?