Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too late to plant stuff?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, May 23, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Well, if you've read the post about the crazy man swinging the stick, you know I live in White Trash Suburbia... AKA a trailer park... Nothing wrong with that, in fact I'm proud to say that the one I reside in is probably the nicest one in town, and it's really not a bad joint... I would just prefer living in a real house is all...

So... Today, I got this crazy idea that I wanted to clean up the yard a bit. I don't mean just get rid of the old rims outside the back door, mowing the lawn, and maybe picking all the trash that has blown into the remnants of last years flower garden by the front door... I mean I want to plant some stuff...

The front yard really doesn't look half bad, it's a little overrun with dandelions this year, but nothing too serious I suppose... I'm more worried about the back yard. Eight years is how long we've lived in this house, and for eight years we've only had grass in the front yard. The back is a mixture of weeds, railroad ties, a few flowers in a corner, some wild flowers mom planted a long time ago, dirt, and rocks... My front yard is pretty nice other than that one part that needs some serious attention... Then the back is like the barren wasteland of my soul. I've always wanted to try my hand at landscaping...

So here's my idea: I'm thinking bushes all the way around the house, from the west gate to the east gate. Some kind of grass/clover mix to cover the ground back there. A brick patio type thing in front of the shed, which is where my mom likes to sit outside and read in the summer. Gravel walkways to get from the west fence to the east fence, to the shed, and just south of the shed. Three small trees (I'm thinking something like Japanese Red Maples would be nice) strategically placed. An edging of some sort to keep the gravel path in place, maybe lined with orange flowers... Also, I am thinking we could take the little corner my mom planted flowers in, and expanding it into a huge quarter-circle sloped flowerbed.

What I really want to know, though, is if it's too late to start this... I've never planted stuff, and I don't know if it's something that should've been done in April, or if this is something I could work on starting in the next couple weeks or so, and maybe be finished by mid-late summer?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Every plant is different. Talk to your local nursery, or find a competent person at Wal-mart garden center (good luck)!

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I don't go to Wal Mart (refer to 'I love living in a trailer park' page 2, post right before yours.) :cool1:...

Actually, I never thought of going to a "nursery"... but some of those people scare me... I went to one with my mom a couple times and it was mostly old people and hippies...

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hippies sure know how to grow "stuff", right?

And granny knows a lot about gardening too. Might be worth a shot going in.