Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

too many masters?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Dec 8, 2001.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

The more I think about the future of my new '77 Jimmy, the more I wonder if I am a slave to too many masters. My 46 chevy pickup was supposed to be a streetrod buildup but its stock and it runs nice. The '67 Chevelle Malibu is an inherited family keepsake, yeah, its a 4 door but its got really low miles and its in really nice shape. The house, the family, the job...
    Now the Jimmy?
    How many of you use these things as daily drivers?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

i use my 1 ton K5 as my daily driver. Even with the 454 D60 and 14BFF, it still can cruise on the highway and is extremely fun to drive. i love my truck, you would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands before you'll catch me driving any grocery-getter mobile everyday! [​IMG]

I too have had a few too many projects vehicles, but I must say that the K5 is the best of all projects. I've built a 79 Firebird olds 403, 86 monte carlo 383, 94 mustang 331... all great cars. Not one of them ever got the attention that the K5 does.

Keep all your other projects for a day when the K5 is behaving... it MIGHT happen [​IMG]! I too have a family, 3 kids, full time work, full time school, a consulting company on the side, and my K5. Trust me, if you work at it, there is a way to share your time between everything.

Good luck! Just my .02!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    Excite @Home SUCKS!
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hahahaah I know the feeling. I got a 70 LeMans Sport convertable sitting in the garge needing a rebuild. I have a 70 Burb sitting on the drive needing EVERYTHING. I have my 75 trail Jaimmy. My wife has a 79 Blazer that is her daily driver but she's a stay at home mom. That 79 is right now serving as Family vehicle and not doing very good at it but the Wife couldn't part with it. The 70 Burb I bouth to put 90's running gear in and make a dependable hauler when all of us need to go somewhere. Been so busy with other stuff like house, kids, family stuff, I have as yet to turn a wrench on it and I'm seriously thinking of selling it and My 89 Supra that's my daily driver and getting something newer with 4 doors. I even thought about a avalanch. I love the inside, I like the front, I like the ersitality, just hat all the crap hanging on the sides. Havent convinced myself I need a car payment and can live with the exterior) It would get close to the same ecconomy as my supra since most of my driving is hwy (serious, my Supra only gets 21 the Avalanch should get 18-19 since I don't have to deal with stop and go). To many toys to little time.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I used my '67 camaro as a daily driver for-a-while. It was sweet to be the only '67 on the road -every-day. She turned heads, not as meny as I would expect, but still turned a few heads around with some thumb-ups. But, it made me paranoid, I was allways afaid of some cell-phone usein' non-driveing, impatiant A-hole not paying attation and rear-ending me. So I retired it from it's daily driver tasks.

I've got a buddy thats building a '43 T-bucket with rambler back seat (?- might be a 42, he keeps rattling off what years came-with-what and I can never keep track) He's going to make it a daily-driver and I bealive him. He used to drive his pro-street '67 camaro that ran high 8s to work (40 hwy miles) every so often. -This guy doesn't mess around, when he say's he going to, he does...very sharp dude.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I use mine as daily transportation. A friend of mine used to have a K30 on 44's that was his daily and it had an LS6 454 in it and got about 7mpg.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I use to drive the Firebird eveyday. The only 69 I have seen driving around here. Now I drive the burb and the firebird every other day.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I always have too much going on. I am currently working on the k5, my 69 nova, 81 malibu, and now a 62 ford f100 unibody. All this with working and going to school is plenty. I love working on cars though. It is my passion. I can't get enough of it.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I use mine as my daily driver - once I get the Willys done though, the Blazer will be retired from commuting and turned more into a desert runner.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I use mine as a daily driver. I wouldn't mind getting a small car though as the gas prices suck nowadays.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

10. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Mine is a daily driver

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

11. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

My 72 K5 on 35's was my daily driver until the temp dropped below freezing. Best thing about the garage is only having to put the top up 3 times last summer, commuting in that thing rocks. Winter beater is a (t)RUSTY stock 81 K10. Anyone looking for good snow and ice tires? I'd have to say Bridgestone's Winter Duellers. Cool directional tread and the Blizzak ice tire compound which to this day amazes the hell out of me.

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i gave my girlfriend my '99 honda to get the K5, both are our daily drivers. the K5 goes about 300 miles a week and same with the honda. I just wish the $15 that fills the honda for the week would do the same for the blazer[​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Gosh...projects. My '79 blazer is a project/daily driver, the '87 IROC is a project/daily driver, got a '56 GMC pickup project, Nick has a bike he wants to do stuff to, then I have a '77 benz that I don't know what to do with. Needs a motor. It's always had a diesel, so I'd miss the sound, but that car would be real nice with maybe a 4.3 or 350 in it. It'd be a real nice touring car.

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

My 89 K5 is a daily driver. Either I or my wife drive it every day. I also use it a lot offroad and for towing.It is also our main family vacation rig sence it will do it all.
    I used to have a couple of project vehicles. A 53 F150 and a Bronco. but after I got the K5 I pretty much lost interest in the Fords and sold them. I sure spend a lot less time under the hood now, and more time in my boat. I have a lot more free time and money.
    Been thinking of buying a 69 Norton 750 Comando a friend wants to sell me. I'v always wanted to build a vintage motorcycle. Besides they dont take up much space and are pretty easy to work on.

15. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I drove my K5 daily up until recently cuz I got a company truck.As for projects Iv got a 68 Mustang with a Cobra 5.0 and 5spd in it that I used to put 100+ miles on a day and take to the drag strip every fri. night.I tore the whole car apart to redo it and now it sits waiting to get put back together.I have a 65 2dr Falcon wagon.Its not a project right now it is the grocery mobile.Iv got a Harley I tinker with but its not a project any more.Iv got a 76 2dr Cherokee I bought for my woman to drive a year ago thats sitting beside my house waiting for me.And the last one is a 74 C20.Im using the cab, front clip,and rear end out of it and slowly cutting the rest up into tiny pieces and throwing them away in the dumpster here at work.They all get pushed aside when I want to play with my K5.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>