Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Too many things cancel each other out

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Right now, I feel like I have so many things to do they just cancel out and I am doing nothing.

I am doing nothing at this very moment because I don't know where to start.

I have a motor, tranny, and T-case to put into a '77 K20... but not until I put the complete exhaust system under it, which is 85 miles away.

I am planning on going up there to get the exhaust system tomorrow. Before I go I have to change the alternator on the Diesel and load a utility box on the flatbed trailer. The Utility box (locking fullsize utility bed with racks) is on the driveway and rather heavy. I can't load it myself, and can't leave until it's loaded. I have to be back home by Saturday afternoon too. Also I have to drop off a '77 Crew Cab at a friend's house to try and sell it tomorrow.

I have an '80 Chevy truck frame, bed and cab in the driveway that I need out of here. A guy wants the frame and I am waiting on him to come get it so I can lift off the body and get the frame out of here. Until then I can do nothing.

I have a motor that needs valve cover gaskets then needs to be swapped into another truck, but not until that truck's existing motor, tranny and t-case are pulled out. I can't disable that truck until the '77 K20 is running or the '80 is gone.

I have an '83 C10 which is unlicensed since I'm waiting for the guy to find the title or sign off as a lost title, so I can buy the tabs which I can't afford right now and then drive it. Until then it must sit.

I have a 454 sitting in the driveway that needs cam bearings, and gaskets. But I need money for that first... then once I put it back together it goes into an '82 Stepside. The existing 454 must come out of the stepside first, which I don't want to do until this 454 is ready. The gear drive I will be using in the motor will not be in my posession until I get it in April.

The motor that will come out of the stepside needs a new cam and bearing and then will go into my Suburban, but not until I mate an NV4500 to the 205 in my garage. My garage is currently a distaster again in which I cannot work. 3 vending machines are still in there until we place them.

We can only place one of the remaining 3 machines before our trip out of the country starting February 28th. Before I leave for 3 weeks, I have to take care of a bunch of "deals", many of which are across the state so I'm calling in favors from friends and people on here.

I have a '78 K5 I have to go pick up this Sunday, before or after I yank a rear end out of a '70 K5 that I sold. I volunteered to help work at the radiator shop I used to work at- not because I had time, but because I needed the money- and the guy whom they hired after I quit, quit himself 2 weeks ago and they need temporary help until they hire another permanent guy. So now I am back on a weekday work schedule from 8-4:30 (with the exception of certain days I need to service vending machines and place the next one).

I also need to move a rear end, my snowplow, a motor, and a bunch of other parts out of here. There's a whole list of things I need to do up north that far surpasses this one, inclusing assembling a '78 K20 from a bare frame, pulling motors, swapping about 12 or more axles, 4 motors... blah blah blah.

To top it off I'm thinking about getting another '82 K5 Blazer. He wants either $500 for it which I don't have, or I offered to trade an '88 Firebird for it. If he does trade, I'll have an '82 K5 I'll need to replace a carb and fuel tank in. More fun.

Or I could do something some people think I should do...

For Sale: Allan's entire Fleet: Make reasonable offer

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'll give you tree fitty for everything.

Just blow everything off. Say ****it and sleep in, get drunk, and repeat as many times as neccesary till you feel like doing the work.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I think you have the most chevs i have ever seen.:D

I dont know what to say either, if i did i think it be the same as affromans reply:D :laugh:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know!!...

I'd start your own bussiness..after doing like Afroman says several times..:wink1:

Make a big sign...

"MOUNTAINEXPLORER'S GM TRUCK SALVAGE AND SALES"
    "DANA 60's BOUGHT,SOLD,TRADED"
    "454'S FOR SALE OR TRADE"
    "WE INSTALL PARTS WE SELL"
    "IF I AIN"T GOT IT--YOU DON'T NEED IT"
    :D

Seriously..you have way too many irons in the fire man!..slow down,take a deep breath..you'll have a stroke doing all that in the time you need to do it in..it aint worth dying over!..having a deadline takes all the fun out of it!...:crazy:

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's been my goal for years to own my own 4x4 shop called "Mountain Explorers 4x4", having new parts retail, used parts and some 4x4 repairs. But I want to have my own building and location for the business. And if it was all a legitimate business at a legally zoned location, I'd go all out and do things I do now only concentrate on things and get things done more efficiently, without worrying about what I can have here in a residential neighborhood.

Right now, I'm at a standstill. I can't get things done because I'm waiting to get parts I have that are scattered from here to Ione and in between, or waiting for other people, or busy doing a bunch of trades back and forth with friends that go nowhere and lose time and money.

Basically, me working at the radiator shop again for the next 3 weeks is me taking a vacation from the projects here and making some money. For once I haven't been worrying about getting this truck done or that done because I don't know where to start.

Tonight 3 of us just tried to lift the utility box. No way. So change of plans. I'm hauling the '83 K20 out of here in the morning instead of the utility box. I'll put it off and work at it up north after the overseas trip when we return in March. That will free up a space here for the '78 K5 I'm picking up so I can put a tranny and T-case in it and the re-sell it.

Thats another thing I hate. I make plans which are for the most part, efficient and make sense. But one or two things occur that throw everything off, and it all changes and I can't ever keep a definite schedule like I plan it. I tell people what I'll be doing and what time, and then it all changes because of one thing that went wrong or not according to plans.

Right now I'm also paranoid about someone thinking I'm trying to run a business at present, when I'm not. I've had so many extra parts the last year or so, I've been running alot of ads. 2 years ago the same thing happened and I told myself, if I do this too much, someone will be watching and thinking I'm trying to run an illegal business. Since I've been running ads so much recently, trying to get rid of my excess of parts, a friend just reminded me of risking looking like a business. If I bought vehicles on the single purpose of parting them out to make a profit consistently, that would classify a business. As it is, I only buy something if I need it or a part or parts off it for one of my own personal projects. What I don't use is extra, and if I don't need it I try and sell it to get it out of my way.

This year I want to get alot of the projects out of my way and taken care of. I want to get all the crap out of my field and parts rigs hauled off or crushed.

My only motivation comes from thinking I will someday catch up or get ahead of things. But whatever I do, I still refuse to give up. I always have to be doing something. Even during my "standstill" moments like a little bit ago I'm scheming on how to make things work with what I have, and how to progress and get things done.

At least I switched out my alternator an hour ago and my Diesel is charging again for the 1st time in almost 2 months. So that's a +1 on the side of progress. Only 8965329862539865 to go.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Even if it's tedious and annoying at times, if you look at yourself and find it's what you really want to do, it's golden

Although, you could probably get 20K selling out piecemeal and buy a new car, and like, be an artist.

Chicks dig artists.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

your problem is much bigger than mine (I only have 2 fullsize chevys!) but what I have found that works is to just get in a routine of doing ONE thing for your truck every day. I've found that over the long run this really adds up to some progress. On days where I have lots of time, I'll do two things or maybe even three. They can be small things... but as long as you are making progress each and every day you'll be headed in the right direction.

j

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm cutting back..

I have no choice but to cut back on the number of vehicles I own..its getting to be too much of a burden to have more than 2..its tough trying to keep them insured,registered,inspected,and 4 tires that hold air, and batteries that stay charged,etc..it costs so much just to do that,I can't afford fuel to drive them anywhere!..

I'm selling the 2wd 79 C10,(if anyone ever LOOKS at it!)..and my van is better of as a storage bin or spare bedroom than a roadworthy vehicle,now that it has sat since 12/03,its likely to have all kinds of things going bad from sitting,like exhaust,gas and brake lines,I think the master cylinder is weak,and on and on..probably has more water than gas in its tank too..I'd get 200 bucks for scrapping it..hate to do that,but I might have too..had it since 1990,lots of memories in that van..

Alan,you have lots of parts and trucks,but as long as they are not out in plain veiw,and you have bills of sale for them all,and can prove you are hoarding parts for YOUR personal truck,the officials will usually never even know you have them unless someone complains to them..you have lots of land,hide them away under trees, or make more sheds to put them in..they can't say squat if the parts are intended for your personal use..and you have the right to change your mind and sell them if you decide to "bailout"..its mostly whole vehicles they consider you a dealer of,if you sell more than 3 a year here..nobody keeps track of parts very much,even if they did,as long as you have a recepit they have no reason to object..kept out of sight and not stacked up like cordwood..

Its the hulks of bodys stripped for parts that yuppies seem to whine about the most.(or if they see you spilling oil,etc)...I get rid of the carcasses as soon as possible,and keep them out of sight as much as possible..even a tarp bunjy corded over a hulk is better than nothing..most sheet metal only "keeps" a few years outside before its junk,so usually its best to save only the good parts like doors,etc,and get rid of the rest asap..if you leave it out in the woods,kids break the glass,steal stuff,could get hurt playing in them,are an "attractive nuisance",and they rot away fast--its not worth having them around really..

I'm like you,I'd save every nut bolt and screw if I could!..lost count how many times I've needed a part,and had one,but threw it out too soon!..then had to BUY one at the junkyard...but having a cab(or 2,or 10!) hanging around that only has a good ciggarrete lighter in it,and not much else will only get you in trouble eventually!..

I loved the junkyard,it was nice to be able to buy a truck,haul it with the ramp truck, or use the dealer plate,store it there free,strip all the parts I wanted,and SELL the rest to someone else all legal and proper..you can only get away with so much in your own yard,especially in residential zoned areas..but done right,you can do a lot..just have keep quiet,dont hammer on things or use air tools after 9pm,etc,--got to be a "good neighbor",even when THEY aren't!..:rolleyes:

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

very similar problem here, it seems that if i have like 2 or more projects/chores to do, they just cancel themselves out, and i revert back to sittin in front of the computer doing absolutely nothing but finding more parts for more projects that i have a hard time getting to. :D