Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOO MUCH AIR BLOCKED??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Apr 25, 2001.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Last weekend I replaced my radiator on my 1991 K5 and was shocked with all the stuff that was in front of it. In the past I have had my truck get on the hot side (about 230) and was told that I should put a tranny cooler in my truck, well this is one on it. When I was doing all this work I realized that in front of my radiator there is a stock oil cooler and a tranny cooler, that was the same size as the oil cooler, also the A/C condenser is the same size as the radiator. Is this to much air blockage? I do not see how any air could cool the coolant that is in the radiator. To make things worse, the grill has a bug catcher that stops bugs and rocks from hitting the oil cooler and the trany cooler, but limits the airflow to. The sizes of the holes in the grill are about the same size and about the same distance apart as pegboard. What do you all thing? Is the temp gauge telling me? The temp in the block? The temp of the water before or after the radiator? Or at the thermostat? Thanks for the help!!

Brettmcox.coloradok5.com

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Your fan does alot of the work too... the temp guage is in the block... That is a lot of blockage.... but htere's not much you can do..... other than relocate the other coolers... I ripped my a/c condenser out... i can take the top off right??? so why do I need a/c????

[​IMG]See me at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm>http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm</A>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I too have an A/C condenser, an oil cooler, and a tranny cooler in front of the rad. I've never had any overheating issues..........Keep in mind that although these auxilliary coolers are limiting airflow through the rad a little bit, the coolers themselves are taking a lot of heat away from the system.

I would suggest that you get rid of the existing bug catcher setup- you'll probably run way cooler without it. If you're really concerned about protecting your rad and coolers, you can install a piece of screen(like from a screen door) behind your grille that will accomplish the same thing without effecting airflow..........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

any more info??

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Ummmm. Stop being a wuss and take your top off and roll the windows down. Just like the other dude said, get that silly A/C stuff out of the way.
    Or you could be a real stud and buy a 73-75 K5.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

Buy me a sotf top and i will!!! It can be a weeding gift, the gift that keeps on giving

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It may be time to flush out the radiator. Inside and Out. I know cleaning the outside may seem silly, but I have done it on several vehicles and it makes a big difference. I go and buy some coil cleaner from the local HVAC shop. **Just make sure it is not acidic if you have an aluminum radiator.**
    Take it and spray it on both sides. Then make sure you rinse it off from the inside-out. After you're done rinse it one more time. Get all of the clean off really well.

You will be amazed at the crud that will come off the outside of that thing.

My .02,
    John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '84 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '93 Chevy P/U 4x4 454tbi